Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Default All these plugs won\'t open on last 3 accel chips

Hi,

I have HD3accel and i have filled all the accel chips except the last 3 chips on both accel cards (6 chips free)

And i can't open these plugs...

Revibe
TL Space
Eventide reverb
Eventide factory
Eventide band delays
Eventide octovox
Filter factory
Echoboy
Omnipressor
Pitch doctor
mach five
Indigo
time blender
pitch blender
BNR

all get 7204 error What gives Digi? that's a lot of $ wasted

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Avid

Default Re: All these plugs won\'t open on last 3 accel chi

Quote:
Hi,

I have HD3accel and i have filled all the accel chips except the last 3 chips on both accel cards (6 chips free)

And i can't open these plugs...

Revibe
TL Space
Eventide reverb
Eventide factory
Eventide band delays
Eventide octovox
Filter factory
Echoboy
Omnipressor
Pitch doctor
mach five
Indigo
time blender
pitch blender
BNR

all get 7204 error What gives Digi? that's a lot of $ wasted

Chris
The last 3 chips on an Accel card are unique in their RAM memory allocations. The plug-ins you listed, require additional coding to support these chips, or they need the extra RAM which exists on the other Accel chips. Many multishell plug-ins favor/benefit from these last 3 chips, BTW. Its sort of like a tossed salad - depending on your ingredients (plug-ins) you can serve a Caesar with croutons, or a lite greens w/balsamic and almonds.

Seriously, we have 3 different chips types and not all plug-ins can run on all of them. Some 3rd party developers aggressively pursue supporting all chip types, some do not, some require extra ram, some do not.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: All these plugs won\'t open on last 3 accel chips

You can try doing a force shuffle, are you using any non-ram plug-ins like EQ, Dynamic on the 4 Accel chips ? Move those to the last chips

Paul
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You can try doing a force shuffle, are you using any non-ram plug-ins like EQ, Dynamic on the 4 Accel chips ? Move those to the last chips

Paul
Hi Paul,

How do you force shuffle? how do you move plugs to chips?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:01 PM

Dutchmuzik Wrote:
Quote:

Paul

Hi Mr. Dutchmuzik, I was wondering how you do a "force shuffle". I always wanted to know this, but thought it was just impossible. Several times through-out a year I come across a time I know it would help. In addition I was wondering how you just make a plug in use a specific "chip"/bar in the usage window ? These are all such great suggestions you said, but I never knew how to do them simply.

Thanks-
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 02-28-2006, 02:14 PM

[quote
The last 3 chips on an Accel card are unique in their RAM memory allocations. The plug-ins you listed, require additional coding to support these chips, or they need the extra RAM which exists on the other Accel chips. Many multishell plug-ins favor/benefit from these last 3 chips, BTW. Its sort of like a tossed salad - depending on your ingredients (plug-ins) you can serve a Caesar with croutons, or a lite greens w/balsamic and almonds.

Seriously, we have 3 different chips types and not all plug-ins can run on all of them. Some 3rd party developers aggressively pursue supporting all chip types, some do not, some require extra ram, some do not.

-tv

[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Yes i can see that there are 3 chip types... chips 1-2 then chips 3-6 then chips 7-9.

I didn't recall ever having a problem before 7 and tiger! but now i have sessions that are half finished and i can't open anymore of the plugins i want to finish the session!!

It's strange that certain plugs will open on a HD core card but won't open on chips 6-9 on accel!!!

I have one session where it will try and re shuffle even when i try to assign an output or instantiate any plugin! when i have 3-4 accel chips free.

Its the shuffleing that doesn't seem to be working right? i guess it would move stuff off of the chips 3-6 on accel to make way for plugs that have to go on them? but it shuffles and comes back error not enough DSP.

Is it that i have just chosen so many plugs that require accel chip 3-6? so effectively i can only have 8 of those type plugs in a session!!!

But this doesn't make sence when i try to open a Band delays which can use all chips except the last 3 accel, it still tries to shuffle but won't make a chip free for it. it should throw all the plugs that don't require accel 1-6 to other chips to make way etc.

There does seem to be a lot of users experiencing this problem all of a sudden.

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 02-28-2006, 03:19 PM

I too am having the same problems...

Wish there was a fix or something... I hate not being able to load plugs when I can see there are open chips on the card

-Kurt
www.zeropointrecording.com
Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Dutchmuzik Wrote:
Quote:

Paul

Hi Mr. Dutchmuzik, I was wondering how you do a "force shuffle". I always wanted to know this, but thought it was just impossible. Several times through-out a year I come across a time I know it would help. In addition I was wondering how you just make a plug in use a specific "chip"/bar in the usage window ? These are all such great suggestions you said, but I never knew how to do them simply.

Thanks-
I think what Dutchmuzik is refering to can be done this way.

Open the system usage window.
Deactivate the plugs you want to move. cmd /cntrl/click on plug
when you've freed up a chip in your usage window click on that chip. This will temporarily <allocate> that chip.
Now activate the plugs and see if they force load on the other chips.

Also, TLspace loads on different chips depending on what 'size' you choose.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I think what Dutchmuzik is refering to can be done this way.

Open the system usage window.
Deactivate the plugs you want to move. cmd /cntrl/click on plug
when you've freed up a chip in your usage window click on that chip. This will temporarily <allocate> that chip.
Now activate the plugs and see if they force load on the other chips.

Also, TLspace loads on different chips depending on what 'size' you choose.
Exactly.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Avid

Quote:
[quote

-tv
Hi,

Yes i can see that there are 3 chip types... chips 1-2 then chips 3-6 then chips 7-9.

I didn't recall ever having a problem before 7 and tiger! but now i have sessions that are half finished and i can't open anymore of the plugins i want to finish the session!!

It's strange that certain plugs will open on a HD core card but won't open on chips 6-9 on accel!!!

[/QUOTE]

The chips on an HD Core are different then the 6-9 on Accel, so again, if plug-ins do not support Accel 6-9 chips, they simply won't go there. I can't think of a reason that would make 6.9 and 7.0 behave differently in these types of situations. Can anyone prove this with a the same session? I'm all ears....

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."