Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 11:39 AM

Default OT : Wonder what J Page would be using..?

Hi all,

This is off/on topic. We all know the huge "sound" of Led Zeppelin and we also know it is largely due to Jimmy's knack with mic placement and etc. So here is the thought I had the other day...

If Zeppelin was still together (original members) and still producing albums I wonder if Jimmy would of advanced to ProTools/Digital/Modern Recording Techniques or would he of stayed on comfortable ground with mic placement/analog gear..?

I ask this because he has always been keen on mic placement, and keen on not using EQ in the mix. He says that if the instrument sounds good then you do not need EQ'ing (which I happen to agree with to some extent). But in the ProTools world EQ'ing is almost essential and very, very, very important to separate the mix, but then again Zep's sound was more of a wall than a separation

Any thoughts welcome as I am just curious what a Zep album might of sounded like in today's techno world.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: OT : Wonder what J Page would be using..?

I think Page recently finished a digitally remixed/remastered Zep album. Not sure about the details, heard mixed reviews.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Re: OT : Wonder what J Page would be using..?

I met a guy who owned the 16 track deck that Led Zep did some songs on. At a Richard Simpson's spot. (he does vinyl mastering). Its funny how excited I was over that.

Wiz