How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 PM

Default Reasons for crashing

Hi all,

I just wanted to know, what are (or could likely be) the main causes for PT12 crashing? Having a few every now and then and would like to boost my chances of avoiding more as much as possible!

Thanks

specs:
MacbookProRetina late '14
Yosemite 10.10.5
16GB RAM
2.5 intel core i7
PT 12.3
Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Reasons for crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to know, what are (or could likely be) the main causes for PT12 crashing? Having a few every now and then and would like to boost my chances of avoiding more as much as possible!

Thanks

specs:
MacbookProRetina late '14
Yosemite 10.10.5
16GB RAM
2.5 intel core i7
PT 12.3
Fisrt, check to see if your plugins are up to date. If they are, take any third party plugins and move them into the unused plugin folder library/Application Support/Avid/Audio. Relaunch Pro Tools and try to recreate some crashes. If it seems stable, add 1/4 of your 3rd party plugins back in and repeat the crash test. If it still seems stable, keep adding 1/4 back in until the problem arises. If you do find a crash in between adding plugins back in, it is likely a unsupported/Out of date plugin of some sort.

Second, use the PT Pref app
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340741

To clean up all Pro Tools related preferences. Sometimes a corrupt Avid file can be the cause for crashes.

Start here with these steps and let us know what happens
Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 AM

I'm seeing some weird ones where CPU overload is happening, I think from trying to instantiate a plugin while it is playing, and then it sort-of functions for a bit, but goes into super-slow beachball mode while Saving and "Closing Session". It actually seems to be doing something (closes one track, minutes later another if I leave it spinning...)

I could force quit. Right now I'm gonna leave it for a bit and see if it finished.
PT 2022.10
UAD-2 Apollo Quad, PCIE and Satellite
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM

Default Reasons for crashing

Are you using an Apollo? I had crashing issues I was able to resolve here :
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374587
Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
Hi all,

Hi there your macbook is essentially the same as mine and I dont have these issues but there are some things I found the hard way. For starters you dont specify when your PT crashes. That is pretty key. Does it crash when you launch, during some specific action etc? Can you add some details and we can build on that. I have some suspicions if its when you try to start but until I know where it bombs out I cant start to guess. Peter