Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Thumbs down Disappointment strikes hard...

So been planning to upgrade my old POD x3 bean. Checked out 11R, AxeFx and POD HD...
I won't spend the money an AxeFx cost, which leaves POD and 11R.

Checked out loads of clips and was really set on the 11R. Got very excited and was about to pull the trigger. Then like an icecold shower coming down on me, I read that there are no PC-editor for the thing!? WHAT!!??

I use an old machine with XP and Cubase SX2, which works great, have no plans to invest in a new computer.

Of course I can use the front of 11R, but one of my demands on a modeler is that I can easily download and check out other peoples patches, and be able to change settings on the screen without hazzle...

So ok, I need to download and install Pro Tools. Well... Since Win XP is not supported and ProTools might be too heavy for my old computer I would have to invest in that too...!
And even if I had a better computer, and even if I would like to use ProTools, I'm still forced to open ProTools with all the plugins just to try out a downloaded patch!?

No, sorry Avid/Digidesign.... I will not. You can keep your modeler, I'm stuck with POD again.. Too bad, I really liked what I heard of it.

I'm almost in a state of shock, but glad I found this out before I bought it. I had never even given a smallest thought that a company would do this tp it's customers...

I have voted on that "Idea" page, but since this has been a demand from you 11R-users out there for a long time, and nothing has happened, I guess the company have no intention of dealing with this matter...

UNBELIEVABLE!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Disappointment strikes hard...

Good for you for having done your research first, rather than being surprised after the sale!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM

I would not say you are "stuck" with POD. The new POD HD Pro sounds really good. Its a shame we could not make you a fellow Eleven Rack User, but you will not be let down by the POD HD Pro.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM

uWell, I also think pod pro is a nice piece of gear. However, being a former pod owner of pod 2, xt and now x3, I was determined to try something new. Modelers have been around for quite some time now, so I was set on checking out the competitors. Plus, I really liked many clips I've heard of the 11R... There is something with the overall tone when compairing clips that promises quality.
This might have to do with the fact that the better musicians choose 11R while beginners turn to line6, generally speaking. But anyway...

To me it's a mystery why they don't develop a stand alone editor since they would probably sell loads of 11R to people like myself...
Well, well, they're business people so they probably know something I don't, haha...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie View Post
Well, well, they're business people so they probably know something I don't, haha...
Spoken like a true Kodak executive...
ASUS P5E Q6600 6GB

Eleven Rack + EXRP
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Blatant trolling.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnapilot View Post
Blatant trolling.
I wish...
This thread might be redudant, cause when eyeing thru this forum this is a major issue not only for me.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM

If you're going to use Windows in the future, you'll have to upgrade your computer and operating system anyway. I'm building my new computer system in the next few months but waiting for Windows 8 to hit the market before I upgrade the operating system.

I was lucky to get the old Pro Tools for 11R backup and patch loading purposes. I NEVER use it to edit nor do I use it to record.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM

I'll be happy to trade you my copy of 8LE for the copy of 10 you get with yours! Then we'll both be able to run on our computers! :)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
I'll be happy to trade you my copy of 8LE for the copy of 10 you get with yours! Then we'll both be able to run on our computers! :)
Well, I've been looking for a used one. Some sell quite cheap...
I also can buy a brand new, unregistered one (Though it's an older unit with PT 8). This might give me a chance to get PT 10 + Expansion pack for free from Avid when I register it, I think I read somewhere here?? Can that be true?

My plan right now is like this: If I were to take a chance and buy one, I could always install ProTools on my 10" Asus laptop, which is always on, easy to carry around and have Windows 7 on it. That way I could just plug in the laptop when I need to transfer or backup presets...
The only quirk is that it doesn't meet the ProTools requirement for CPU and RAM, but I should be able to install it and use the editor only? I hope...

Or will PT refuse to install on a machine that doesn't match their specification?