Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 PM

Default 2 PROCESSORS WORKING (INTEL)?????

Hi, I am about to take the leap of faith and buy a MAC intel system after running a very stable G-4 for the last five years....My biggest concern at the mo is that I am buying a dual processor but only one processor can be assigned for plugs (at the mo).
Can someone from DD tell me when we will be able to make use of the two processors in relation to RTAS plugs.
cheers,
Lozzam
Old 06-23-2006, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 2 PROCESSORS WORKING (INTEL)?????

HI
You will be able to select how many processors you allow for RTAS plug-ins in the setup>playback engine dropdown menu. Im just getting going and havent done thorough tests, but it seems that my intel mac is smoking my old TDM system as far as plug in counts, and that"s with just 1 processor selected! Sweet computers...

later

joe doc
Old 06-23-2006, 06:30 AM

Yes I am aware of where to select two processors, but this function does not work yet as you will see when you try it.
This feature was used to sell PT 7 but as you can see when you browse this forum, anyone that selects 2 processors has problems.
I need to get a response from DD admin as to when this will be fixed.

cheers,
Lozzam
Old 06-23-2006, 09:17 PM

Come on Digidesign, you must be able to give me some sort of response on this issue/subject......
cheers,
lozzam
Old 06-24-2006, 07:24 AM

Anyone wanting to join me on my quest for an answer to this question is welcome.
come on DD
Old 06-24-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yes I am aware of where to select two processors, but this function does not work yet as you will see when you try it.
This feature was used to sell PT 7 but as you can see when you browse this forum, anyone that selects 2 processors has problems.
I need to get a response from DD admin as to when this will be fixed.

cheers,
Lozzam
I'd love to join you on the quest for your answer but the question was already answered!

When I select 2 processors on my 1.83 Macbook 2 processors work with no problems. As as matter of fact the system works great and is all I ever hoped it would be.

If you can't believe the people who are actually using these rigs than maybe you should email tech support directly as I'm pretty sure that a response will be much quicker that way.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 AM

If it's that important that you speak to a Digi person, you should email or call them as they don't step in the User Conference that often. It's also a weekend, so you won't hear a peep from them until monday no matter which route you take.

As the previous poster mentioned though, lots of people use 2 processors with no problems. The only complaint I've really seen about the Intels is that the CoreAudio driver doesn't seem to be to good.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 AM

I am only going on what I have read here in the forum.
numerous people have had probs with error messages and cpu usage meters going nuts and the common fix seems to be...... switch back to 1 processor???????????
How big are your sessions? are you running the machine hard?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 PM

Let me just throw in a quote from the fine print in PTLE V 7.1.1 (for the mac intels):

"Due to internal USB architecture issues on the MacBook Pro, use of Digidesign, M-Audio, or third-party USB audio devices is
supported on the left-hand USB port only (the port next to the power adapter cable). Use of such devices on the right-hand
port is not advised because it may cause audio interrupts and/or dropped samples. However, the use of an iLok on the right-
hand port has been qualified and is fully supported. "

I was getting to the clenched fist/bottle of scotch point with my Macbook pro/MBox2 rig until I read this. What a difference! No more problems, buffer set to 128 (min on MBox2) and set to 2 processors for RTAS.

layta
Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 AM

I have a 20" Intel Imac w/2 gigs of RAM and I have had no problems with running it in the dual processor mode. I was working for about 3 hours the other night with a modest session (20 tracks) and had zero issues. The only problem I've had is when using the Mbox2 as my audio card for things other than Pro Tools. If I use it as the main driver in OSX, it causes my machine to lock up after a while of use.