Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2000, 05:34 PM

Default Any chance Digi could do some PR to get mastering houses to accept our 24 bit files?

Few mastering places here in London, are hip to people bringing in a data CD with mixes in 24 bit file format.
Digi could help out here, the golden eared mastering fraternity is stumbling around in the dark with what to do with mixes made with your system! Can digi turn the light on for them please?
I'ts a really bad state of afairs....

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-23-2000, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Any chance Digi could do some PR to get mastering houses to accept our 24 bit files?

Well, how about AIFF format?

[This message has been edited by Danny Caccavo (edited February 23, 2000).]
Old 02-23-2000, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Any chance Digi could do some PR to get mastering houses to accept our 24 bit files?

Why not do the mastering yourself?

I wouldn't trust my project to anyone that wouldn't accept or couldn't deal with 24 bit files.

If they can't hear the difference, they must have tin ears. You definitely need to find a new mastering house.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-23-2000, 08:36 PM

Airshow mastering in Boulder(Dave won a Grammy a couple of years ago for mastering) will accept Digi 24 bit files. I thought most of the high end houses do. They will also send you a DA45HR to mix to, so they can keep the data at 24 bit all the way through mastering.
Old 02-23-2000, 11:51 PM

My favoured mastering house has a pro-tools rig too, so they open my 24 bit CD's and transfer it to Sonic.
Usually via their cool analog stuff.

The main problem is that Sonic can't open the AIFF format that Pro-Tools can save in. So unless they have a PT system, they can't open it at all.

I am not sure if it is Sonic's or Digidesigns fault...but my bet is Sonic.

There is still a long way for pro-tools mastering to reach the level of a Sonic and Weiss system IMHO.

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 02-24-2000, 09:41 AM

Oli P,

What you are saying is there is no way for Sonic to import SDII (split or interleaved) or AIFF files directly? Very sad if true.

sm
Old 02-24-2000, 10:35 AM

V poor situation here in the UK, hence this thread. Bring it on...
Digi?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-24-2000, 11:33 AM

Steve : Nope....Sonic has never been able to import SDII, but Pro-Tools lets you save in AIFF...wich was supposed to be readable to Sonic, but no

The last I heard was that the new Sonic High Density system should be able to read more formats, but none of them are up and running yet...so we'll see.

At least Sonic are working on it

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 02-24-2000, 11:48 AM

Yeah I've been to the Townhouse in London recently to find out all they can use is CD, DAT or analogue. They are using a Fairlight system which I found a little bit strange, too. I had to convert all my PT 24-bit files to 16-bit and write a CD. :-(

Steve
RME London
Old 02-24-2000, 04:12 PM

It's the same here in Ireland as far as I know....am thinking of getting Apogee's UV 22 plug in for mastering. Supposedly it will capture bits up to 22 bit on a 16 bit media like most dats and cds