Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 04:39 AM

Default I\'m so angry and fed up! Pro Tools just died

I dont get it!!!

I put up with the odd crash every few hours, and I put up with the 32 voice limit, and the other annoyances about Pro Tools, but now I've just about had enough.

I plugged in my Focusrite ISA into the SPDIF input on my 002, and it worked alright at first, but then I lost all the audio! Funny! So I took it out, reloaded PT, and then it made a horrible glitchy sound. So I did the same again, and this time it worked, but then it came up with this "NEO ACCESS ERROR' while i was recording (ive been getting this error from time to time), 'CANNOT AUTOSAVE' or some crap like that. So I quit PT again, and rebooted. This time, no audio at all. Sometimes the fader lights will flash but nothing can be heard, other times nothing flashes and I hear nothing. Corrupted session I hear you say? Yes, lets try some others, none of the backups work, hardly any of my other PT sessions work, except one or two. So, buggered 002 I hear you say, lets try the Mbox. Nope same problem. I've trashed my preferences, I've deleted the cache files and the Digidesign DB folder.

What the smeg is going on? I just want to do music...
Old 03-12-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: I\'m so angry and fed up! Pro Tools just died

ok it has something to do with the corrupted session. I turned off at the mains, left it for 10 minutes, came back and loaded an old session and it was fine. I tested it with other more recent sessions and it was fine, then I loaded the one that I was working on (which crashed), no audio, and no audio on the other older sessions either even though they were fine before I opened the crashy session.

So I guess, i'll have to work from a backup.

Sorry I have to rant because PT drives me up the wall sometimes.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 AM

Yo bro, do this and it should fix the problem:

"delete all Digidesign Database folders/files on all drives.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I put up with the odd crash every few hours...
Then you have an underlying problem which may or may not be associated.

Is your ISA a 428 with ADC? Is it a new unit?

I recently acquired one of these and the ADC card was bad out of the box. The replacement works just fine with 002R. Maybe there's a bad batch of 428 ADC cards in the UK right now.

Which Mac, OS, and PT versions?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:34 AM

Hiya, regarding the odd crash - its not the ADC card, although it may be faulty I don't know, its been crashing ever since I got OS X, on 3 different machines, I'm just cursed with Pro Tools.

I have a 002R on a 1.33ghz G4 powerbook, 1.2gb RAM and 10.3.5.

I was using a phono cable to connect the SPDIF, but I cant see how this could corrupt a session.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:39 AM

Hi Stu,

are you recording to an external drive ?, and if so, what kind ? Firewire or USB ?
If recording to an internal drive, this is not recommended, - I can't beleive that all 3 of your PTools set-ups are giving problems. I run a sinilar set-up to you, with an 002 and G4 1,25 dual, and must say, power harness issues apart, it has been very stable.

Post a bit more info, - have you been in touch with your Diigi dealer at all ?
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 03-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Yeah, as I say, I've had real bad luck.

And yeah, I'm recording to a Lacie external Drive via Firewire.

It usually crashes when opening a session, or applying an AS plugin or something. With this one it was just cutting all audio. I even took my G5 and 002 back to the supplier, and they said they couldn't get it to crash, but I could doing a specific thing to get it to crash. Its only now and then really, I can still do music but its highly annoying. I'm probably going Nuendo soon anyway, fed up with PT now, but I'll wait till version 7 comes out.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Hi Stu,

are you recording to an external drive ?, and if so, what kind ? Firewire or USB ?
If recording to an internal drive, this is not recommended,
Just a bit of clarification... There's nothing wrong with recording to an internal drive, as long as it is not the same drive as the OS and apps. I've got two internal drives - one for OS and apps, the other for data.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 03-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Hi Ggun,
quite correct -I meant the "System Drive" - I often record to a second internal drive with no problems.

So Stu, have you checked the firewire cables - I know it sounds dumb, but it could be something that simple - could you have a dodgy Plug-In , ?
sorry, but I can't think of any reason right now. For me OS X Panther & PTools 6.4, with cs upgrades, and firmware upgrade to 002 has been about the most stable PTools for me since my AudioMedia lll days with OS 8 or something- it really is very stable, so there must be something strange- wish I could be of more help.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
sorry, but I can't think of any reason right now. For me OS X Panther & PTools 6.4, with cs upgrades, and firmware upgrade to 002 has been about the most stable PTools for me since my AudioMedia lll days with OS 8 or something- it really is very stable, so there must be something strange- wish I could be of more help.
i envy you

i just live with it. i am going to get the latest waveshell tho, as 5 does some funny things.

PS the audio thing happened again and i deleted the Digi DB directories on all drives and it went away.