Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2024, 01:02 AM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual to Studio Perpetual license

Hi, I have an Ultimate perpetual license.
In my iLok account I see that I have a Studio perpetual license as well, and since I have just sold my HDX hardware, does this mean when it's time can I buy the "cheaper" studio perpetual upgrade reinstatement license only ?

Or am I "stuck" with Ultimate reinstatements ?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.58.50.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
MacBook Pro M2 Max
Old 02-16-2024, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual to Studio Perpetual license

That's a license bundle, like all Ultimate licenses are, but it's an ultimate license and you will need to continue to pay annual ultimate license update and support fees if you want to do that.

Or you can just stop renewing those payments, and the Pro Tools licenses will keep working (but not the Included Avid Ultimate Plugin Bundle... which are subscriptions). And you can start paying the update/support plan when you want to update. But it will be at the Ultimate rate.

Or you can sell this Ultimate license used (which sells the whole bundle, you cannot separate out licenses) and buy a Pro Tools Studio license. (I would have tried to sell the license with the HDX hardware and just buy a Studio license).

Be careful there are not other things you need in Pro Tools Ultimate (video, field recorder workflows, a few other features, etc.).
Old 02-16-2024, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That's a license bundle, like all Ultimate licenses are, but it's an ultimate license and you will need to continue to pay annual ultimate license update and support fees if you want to do that.

Or you can just stop renewing those payments, and the Pro Tools licenses will keep working (but not the Included Avid Ultimate Plugin Bundle... which are subscriptions). And you can start paying the update/support plan when you want to update. But it will be at the Ultimate rate.

Or you can sell this Ultimate license used (which sells the whole bundle, you cannot separate out licenses) and buy a Pro Tools Studio license. (I would have tried to sell the license with the HDX hardware and just buy a Studio license).

Be careful there are not other things you need in Pro Tools Ultimate (video, field recorder workflows, a few other features, etc.).

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wasn't 100% sure.
Luckily the difference in price for the upgrade is, at the moment, not too bad.
I'm good till July 2024, I will drag this bundle the longest I can before considering an upgrade or a sell.

Thanks !
MacBook Pro M2 Max
Old 02-16-2024, 03:48 AM

A couple of years ago I did precisely that, I had an ultimate perpetual license but sold it on Reverb and replaced it with a studio perpetual license.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:42 AM
Avid

Hi Jeff*,

Darryl is right, since it's a bundled with Pro Tools Ultimate, you won't be able to buy a Pro Tools Studio perpetual upgrade, but since we re-introduced new Pro Tools Perpetual licenses you may want to consider buying a new Pro Tools Studio and sell your current Pro Tools Ultimate. Just make sure to process transfer of ownership in case you found a buyer.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...s/FAQ/en363631
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 02-17-2024, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the clear answers guys.
helps a lot
MacBook Pro M2 Max