Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2023, 03:31 AM

Default Re: To Carbon or Not to Carbon... That Is The Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
From what I understand, at least from a YT channel testing DSP and latency was that when using the UAD mixer, the latency stays the same even with multiple plugins on a channel where as with Carbon, the latency increases with every plugin added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSObLTLFuM
No, that's not the case, and not the correct interpretation of this video.

Some UAD plugs (I think Matt mentions 79) have 0 latency. However the bulk of the newest (biggest fattest sounding - the ones people really like) do add latency. And just like Carbon, they add varying amounts, and they add up as you stack more plugs on a channel.

So, to summarise Matt's two videos: -
Carbon offers the lowest latency with NO plugs. It's lower at any given sample rate.
All Carbon plugs add some latency.
Some UAD plugs add no latency.
Some UAD plugs do add latency, and when they do, it stacks up like the Carbon plugs do.

I agree with pretty much everything Matt has to say in those two videos, except his criticism of the Carbon D/A. While the specs of the latest UA Apollo devices are better than Carbon for D/A, I am one of several people who really dislike the output stage of UA Apollos. You can find this criticism expressed on the UAD forum (and regularly countered by other forum members, and the UA reps) and it's something to do with the sound of the midrange. It makes no real sense - all these relatively expensive modern DACs have ruler-flat response, and yet it's possible to hear differences IMHO.
Anyway, many great records made with UA plugs and UA Apollo interfaces, so probably not important.
For the record, I own 125 UA plugs, an Octo Satellite and used to own an Apollo Twin and X8P. And another Satellite. (You can never have too many UA DSP chips).
Matt runs the UA forum and is an all-round good guy.

Dominic
Old 02-23-2023, 01:58 PM

Thanks everyone for all the information.

Just placed my order for a Carbon.

They figure a couple of weeks - which is OK - because the new Mac I ordered and already had - was not behaving.

After 5 days with Apple tech support - it was suggested by them I send the unit back and have it replaced…

Sparky
Old 02-25-2023, 01:23 AM

i dont understand why the the carbon is avb. Wouldnt it make sense to have it be dante to fit the mtrx ecosystem?
Old 02-25-2023, 05:39 AM

Without reading all pages I can just say that I'm on a Apple Macbook Pro M1 Pro with 32 gb of ram and I'm now using one Carbon + 2 Carbon Pre in one system in my studio.

And it's bloody fantastic.

Switching from multiple preamps and patchbays to 3 HE of I/O to cover my needs has been fantastic. I don't miss thinking about preamps and cables.

Soundwise I'm very impressed. The only pre I kept was my stereo Neve 1073. But honestly, if it wasnt for the EQ and insert (i tend to like to color vocals and guitars a lot when recording) I wouldn't hesitate to only use the carbon stuff for any high end project.

My customers has so far been nothing but happy. Everything moves faster and since I got the carbon pres the most common comment in the studio when tracking is "wow, the drums sounds so good". Obviously I use pretty good mics and nice kits in a good room. But I haven't had anyone complain about that I'm not using API or Neve or SSL or whatever.

And my customers are used to consoles and high profile studios around the world.

I've seen many people ask and talk about the preamps themselves and all I can say is that I'm not worried that I can't deliver the highest quality. Now obviously there comes a lot of other possibillites with a console and or external preamps, but I tend to record my drums clean nowadays and if the drummer wants some compression or we really need to eq something I use a few plugins for that knowing I have full freedom to change that later instead of being stressed about using too much compression or messing up something during tracking.

Again, speed and sound quality is the two things I look for nowadays.

I use Earthworks and Neumanns for my drums and I monitor through ATCs.

Recording is so easy now...
Old 02-25-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
i dont understand why the the carbon is avb. Wouldnt it make sense to have it be dante to fit the mtrx ecosystem?
One good reason is that AVB is an IEEE open standard. All the others technologies require licensing (extra cost $$).

Here's a good comparision of AVB vs Dante (which includes the extra $$ licensing required by Dante) ->> https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/av...te-interfaces/
Old 02-25-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
They made a corporate decision to use a different protocol for each market segment. USB at the bottom, AVB for the semipro, and Dante for the high end. They could have stuck with one, or offered both USB and AoIP in one box... But they didn't.

This also means they have to develop and support three different driver/control panel software
Old 04-20-2023, 09:32 AM

Hello everyone.

Just thought I’d quickly update this thread by letting you know that I have been using the Carbon for a few weeks now and it’s been great.

Money well spent for my situation.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance

Sparky
Old 04-20-2023, 03:32 PM

pro tools has its... hmmm issues. Tying to their HW is another knot that binds... had TDM and HD 192... and grey 16x16 Avid box.
better to be free w ADDA as depreciation is not tied to the one market

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]