Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Default Re: 11R drives me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Thats why I'm thinking the noise isnt so much 'by design' so much as it might be a bad component or connection. Hopefully your contact will figure out whats wrong with it and get it back in working order as soon as possible.
Hopefully so. Although I am planning on buying a really decent audio interface, I would not like to sell a potentially damaged Eleven Rack.

In the meantime I found an older thread regarding the pop issue when changing sample rates. Here is Chris Townsend's statement:

"Regarding the glitch/pop when you change sample rates, that is normal. We'd definitely like to improve it some more, but we think it might be the best we can do with the CODECs we used."

The CODECs used in the 11R are four Cirrus Logic CS4272s. The same codecs are used in the Line6 POD HD500, the Apogee DUET/ONE, the Apogee Ensemble, the Focusrite liquid 56, and the Lexicon I-ONIX amongst other devices. What amazes me the most, is that AVID uses the same converters/codecs for the Mbox 3 and Mbox 3 Pro and I have never heard/read about complaints from users of any of the aforementioned devices reporting glitches/pops when changing sample rates. Why did AVID not transfer the same technology/knowledge used in the Mbox to the Eleven Rack in order to avoid those glitches/pops??? This is beyond me ...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Hi guys.

I also have the same problem. I have Genelec 8020's without the sub and I've used same monitors with presonus interface and NAD preamp and there was no noise coming from the Genelecs. The hiss is definitely coming from 11R. I'm pretty sure the noise wasn't there when I bought 11R. I've been running my Geneleces low because of the pops and bangs from the start so I don't know when the noise got there or was it there from the start. The hiss doesn't bother me much but I would like to know if there is something blown.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Hi SupaTmu,

Thanks for your feedback. Just like you I cannot tell for sure whether the noise has been there from day one. But my unit will go back to Thomann tomorrow for an inspection. I will keep you updated about their findings, but it may take something between 15 and 20 days. So, please, be patient.

If I was using the 11R as an amp modeler only, I would probably not bother about it. The backgroud noise of some of the hi gain amp models in the 11R is even louder than that white noise But I used to use the 11R as my main audio interface for mixing (or to learn myself into mixing to be more precise), and for this purpose that noise is too loud and distracting.

Just to add to my last post: Knowing that the CODECs used in the Eleven Rack are the same that are used in some well respected dedicated audio interfaces is good news, though.