Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Is PT9.0.6 stable under W7 64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
My desktop is my workhorse. I do everything on it...
+1. ProTools, CD Architect (CD burning), Nero (data disc backups), Sony Vegas/DVD Architect (video editing/DVD authoring), Word, iTunes, and sometimes even internet. For most internet needs I use a separate computer, but if I'm in session and a client needs to send/receive something on the internet, I'll go right ahead and do it. CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware (free version) and Acronis Images make it all work pretty well for me. Having a powerful computer and lots a hard drive space helps, too !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
+1. ProTools, CD Architect (CD burning), Nero (data disc backups), Sony Vegas/DVD Architect (video editing/DVD authoring), Word, iTunes, and sometimes even internet. For most internet needs I use a separate computer, but if I'm in session and a client needs to send/receive something on the internet, I'll go right ahead and do it. CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware (free version) and Acronis Images make it all work pretty well for me. Having a powerful computer and lots a hard drive space helps, too !!!
Ha thats actually almost exactly the same apps I use to help keep things running fast, and stay virus free.

Ccleaner is great, I also like to use Defraggler instead of the Windows Defragger.

I also use SuperAntiSpyware but I bought the Pro version with Lifetime upgrades, it was like $19.99 because i had already purchased a Pro version with 1 year license. Its a great deal, you can turn it off and on easily unlike some Antivirus programs that require a reboot before they will shut off, but I leave it running all the time because it has such a small footprint and does an amazing job.

And of course i use Acronis. I should probably update it, im still using 2010 but its working fine.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM

Tonepad - have you tried dragging several midi patterns onto an instrument track? What happens afterwards? Is your midi work still contiguous? Rather does it create a new staff and do you see your virtual drum plug-in blink when hovering over notes? Are you SURE your 9.0.6 is so bug free?

Bottom line is, Avid needs to clean up their act when releasing updates. These updates contain code regressions that are not fixed by applying pre existing tweaks that did not need to be applied in the first place.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Did a little test between 902 and 906. I build a quite (for me) big 4 minutes project, 22 tracks, both audio and midi, 30 plugins.

2 cores at 99% and buffer size at 256. I'm running with HT disabled and dedicate 2 of 4 cores seems to work best. The reason I choose 256 is that it is the highest I can go without audio latency because every time I change it PT forces a restart.

I put PT on playback & repeat. 906 is very prone to -9128, It could'nt play the project more than one time before stall.

With 902 it is a big difference, much better. It just plays on without stopping.

Maybe I'll install PT10 trial and test it in same way.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengineer View Post
Well GrievousAngel, all I can say is "welcome to ProTools"

I myself am in far too deep to take my advice, but my advice to you is: get out now before your commitment is too deep. ProTools provides almost zero benefit if you're on a PC. Look at the money you spent as a lesson and go buy anything else.
revengineer, are you experiencing glitches with PT even on your "AVID qualified" Dell Precision T3500???
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM

I'm running Pro Tools 9 ver:9.0.0 on a PC - never had a problem!!

PC; Win 7 ultimate, 64 bit, 8 core i7 975 CPU @ 3,33GHz with its own cooling system and digital temp readout, with 12 GB RAM, dedicated high speed hard drive measured in TBs, 3 other hard drives an 2 external backup drives. I use 2 27" monitors and I do everything on it.

Pro Tools takes precedence and I rarely connect to the internet - use a laptop for that - I have blocked all automatic updates - I get to be informed of any impending updates and I can choose to do what I want with them. I also ensure I make regular Restore points - Pro Tools is such a mega program and has very sensitive nerve fibres in all and every organ of a PC, any changes or updates can have a profound effect on the way PT operates - I'd be very careful when using 3rd party software and even make backups and Restore points when installing so called compatible software.....not much use to you I know but at least you know PT can work without a hitch on a 64 bit system.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM

I dual-boot between two copies of W7/64, one for everyday use and one for PT. I've never updated past 9.0.3 because of all the horror stories. I do occassionally experience autosave and some other errors when I'm piling on the plug-ins but I fear it'd be worse with 9.0.5 or .6.

If you decide to dual-boot and use Acronis, be aware that you should only install Acronis on one OS. So, when you backup your OS, you'll have to include both OS partitions in your backup.