Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Default PT10 Crossgrade from LE on sale at audiomidi

I posted this in the LE section but I thought I'd mention it here as well. For you Eleven Rack guys who are still on PT8 LE, this might be a great price for you to upgrade.

This is on sale for $399 until Feb. 8th.

http://www.audiomidi.com/avid_pro_to...9920_65034_00/
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Re: PT10 Crossgrade from LE on sale at audiomidi

Man that is a great deal!

It will cost me a total of $550 to go from PT LE8 to PT10 since I already upgraded to PT9.

I wish someone would run a crossgrade deal for PT9 to PT10. I'm not going to pay another $300 for PT10 when I just spent $250 6 months ago for PT9.

I wish we could go back to the days of the $99 - $149 Pro Tools upgrade price.

I tried the PT10 Demo, and I only used it once in 30 days

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Man that is a great deal!

It will cost me a total of $550 to go from PT LE8 to PT10 since I already upgraded to PT9.

I wish someone would run a crossgrade deal for PT9 to PT10. I'm not going to pay another $300 for PT10 when I just spent $250 6 months ago for PT9.

I tried the PT10 Demo, and I only used it once in 30 days
That's not a great deal - it's still extremely overpriced! Even taking $100 off, it still costs $250-300 more than it did in the old days.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
That's not a great deal - it's still extremely overpriced! Even taking $100 off, it still costs $250-300 more than it did in the old days.
Not really. $399 for and 2 step upgrade is a pretty good price IMO

Look at it like this, the $399 =

PT LE8 > PT9 = $199 > PT9 > PT10 = $199

a $199 upgrade price for each step is not too much IMO. Especially for all you get when going fom LE8 to PT9, then PT9 to PT10.

If they took $100 off the crossgrade for PT9>PT10 I would probably buy it within a few weeks or immediately if I had the extra cash on hand.

PT10 is a nice step up, but even when I had the Demo, I only used it once. I don't really need it, PT9 is working just great. I can spend $200 on something I don't really 'need', but $300 is too much for a single step up (PT9>PT10) especially when Im not making near as much with PT as I was a couple years ago.

Now if I was still on PT8, I would really consider this deal.

I just wonder what the pricing is going to look like when PT11 comes out and its 64 bit! Just imagine the premium they are going to charge for that!

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
a $199 upgrade price for each step is not too much IMO. Especially for all you get when going fom LE8 to PT9, then PT9 to PT10.
I was just commenting on your previous post:

Quote:
Even if they charged for a two step upgrade, $200-$300 is a much better deal than the $400 "sale" we have now. I'm still irritated that current 11R purchasers get it for free...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I just wonder what the pricing is going to look like when PT11 comes out and its 64 bit! Just imagine the premium they are going to charge for that!
Considering it'll be just catching up to the competition, I can't imagine the justification for such a price premium unless of course it's packed with new features and they've ironed out the bugs from every other version that still exist.

Funnily enough, I too only used PT10 once during the month trial. I'm happy at v9.03 until 64Bit arrives.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Considering it'll be just catching up to the competition, I can't imagine the justification for such a price premium unless of course it's packed with new features and they've ironed out the bugs from every other version that still exist.

Funnily enough, I too only used PT10 once during the month trial. I'm happy at v9.03 until 64Bit arrives.
I'm just wondering how they will justify a crossgrade price any higher than it is now. Right now its $300 to go from 9 to 10. I wonder if they will adjust 9 to the current 8 LE position and charge $499 to go from 9 to 11. But then what of LE8 user? Surely they won't charge $699 or $799 to crossgrade from LE8 to 11 I would think that the full (non upgrade) version would not be priced any higher than $699. Maybe they won't even offer a crossgrade for LE8 users?

Its kinda funny that Steinberg is offering a better crossgrade deal for Pro Tools users than Avid is Right now if you are a PT user you can get something like 50% off of Cubase 6 or Nuendo 5.5 - and they are already 64 bit.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 AM

For the sake of completeness:

Cubase Artist 6 at a 50% discount
Cubase 6 and Nuendo 5.5 at a 33% discount

See here for further information:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsande...nded-1859.html

I am also wondering about AVID's future crossgrade/update options and their pricing strategies.

My belly feeling tells me that there will be an ERXP II which will make all users of the Eleven Rack having to crossgrade or upgrade to PT 11 as their editor for the 11R. There will be "important additions to Pro Tools 11 which are only available in the latest dot-releases and which are required by ERXP II for best performance. You can install the ERXP II on earlier versions of PT but only as a last resort, they are not tested, qualified, supported or recommended." (Excerpt from the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack FAQ thread on this forum. Minor edits added )

Needless to say that there will be even more restricting hardware requirements for PT 11, so that many users not being on an "AVID qualified computer" will run into even more "running out of CPU power" or "H/W buffer underrun" error messages. The "denormalization" issue with the SansAmp plugin will still not be fixed.The ERXP II firmware installer will still not be compatible with IE9 and the XTC green channel bright switch bug and the crash when scrolling to the last page of the MIDI mapping guide will still not be fixed in the ERXP II ...

Seriously, what is the benefit from up-/crossgrading to PT 10 for most of the hobbyist users? What do you guys use PT for? I use it for loading user presets, quickly tracking down ideas (and elaborting them), loading backing tracks in order to jam to ... . You do not need PT10 to do this, you do not even need PT9. So, if this is all you want to do in PT, save your money!

I do not understand why so many people are keen on getting PT 10 or seeing PT 11 64bit. I do not expect PT 11 64bit to scale down Pro Tools' restricting hardware requirements, that is why I switched to Cubase 6 as my main DAW. Audiomidi should offer a hardware crossgrade alongside with the PT crossgrade
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf_T View Post
Seriously, what is the benefit from up-/crossgrading to PT 10 for most of the hobbyist users? What do you guys use PT for? I use it for loading user presets, quickly tracking down ideas (and elaborting them), loading backing tracks in order to jam to ... . You do not need PT10 to do this, you do not even need PT9. So, if this is all you want to do in PT, save your money!
As has been mentioned by a lot of people, if you run OS X Lion, 8LE is not supported. If I had a stand alone editor or ran an OS that 8LE was supported on, I wouldn't think twice about it and would not upgrade.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I'm just wondering how they will justify a crossgrade price any higher than it is now. Right now its $300 to go from 9 to 10. I wonder if they will adjust 9 to the current 8 LE position and charge $499 to go from 9 to 11. But then what of LE8 user? Surely they won't charge $699 or $799 to crossgrade from LE8 to 11 I would think that the full (non upgrade) version would not be priced any higher than $699. Maybe they won't even offer a crossgrade for LE8 users?

Its kinda funny that Steinberg is offering a better crossgrade deal for Pro Tools users than Avid is Right now if you are a PT user you can get something like 50% off of Cubase 6 or Nuendo 5.5 - and they are already 64 bit.
Yeah they are doing some crazy things price wise. They will have a hard time pricing an update more than you can buy the outright software. So I bet when PT11 comes out it will be $299 upgrade for PT10 users and $499 for all older versions.

However as bad as that sounds look up the cross grade price for PTHD 7 to PTHD 10. That's highway robbery.

Here's the link

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...07527273749472

I don't even own an eleven rack but having to spend the kind of money they want for a software upgrade, just to use the editor, is ludicrous. It would almost be cheaper to buy a whole new unit and sell your old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk