Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Disappointment strikes hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie View Post
The only quirk is that it doesn't meet the ProTools requirement for CPU and RAM, but I should be able to install it and use the editor only? I hope...

Or will PT refuse to install on a machine that doesn't match their specification?
You should be able to install PT on your ASUS laptop. I even installed PT9 on my 5 years old computer with Win XP. I ignored the warning about "installing on my own risk because the OS is not supported", and PT installed.

You will be able to use PT as an editor on a non "AVID qualified machine". But chances are great you will run into to problems when you intend to do some serious mixing in PT on that machine. I am on an HP Pavilion DV8 1050eg laptop with Win7 64bit installed. Installation of PT9 (and even the trial version of PT10) went painlessly. The pain begins when you start loading plugins on a "non-qualified machine" ... ;-)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf_T View Post
You should be able to install PT on your ASUS laptop. I even installed PT9 on my 5 years old computer with Win XP. I ignored the warning about "installing on my own risk because the OS is not supported", and PT installed.

You will be able to use PT as an editor on a non "AVID qualified machine". But chances are great you will run into to problems when you intend to do some serious mixing in PT on that machine. I am on an HP Pavilion DV8 1050eg laptop with Win7 64bit installed. Installation of PT9 (and even the trial version of PT10) went painlessly. The pain begins when you start loading plugins on a "non-qualified machine" ... ;-)
OK, thanks! Well, I don't plan to use that small laptop to record anyway, so...

ANother question: On one of the used 11R's I could buy, the guy says that it doesn't work with the clock speed set to 44,1, I need to use 48 or 96. I see that's a commom problem with some older units. So this is one of these units, should I stay away from it or are there no other known problems with older units like this.
I'm aware thet CD's are recorded in 44,1 and that it is said it's sometime a benefit to record stuff in the same sample rate, but I've never really cared about clock rate in the past and don't know what importance this will have...?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Regardless of what clock rate you are planning on recording with: This issue should have been addressed IMO. It looks like he is owning one those faulty units having this 44.1 issue, but he never cared about it. If his unit is still under warranty, tell this guy to contact AVID in order to send the unit in for a repair before you buy it. Do not buy a faulty unit, especially if the unit is no longer under warranty!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM

So I will get a used 11R Thursday... I'll try it out and can always sell it again if I'm not happy, got it very cheap...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 AM

Congrats on your purchase! It is hard to image that you will not like the sounds you will be getting from it, as long as you hook it up to decent speakers

As far as your concers on "loading Pro Tools with all the plugins" go, you can get rid of the plugins. If memory serves well, there will be is a dialog appearing during the installation process showing all the elements that will be installed. Simply uncheck everything but the Pro Tools application (additional options are something like "plugins", "creativity tools", and "Mac disk support"). You do not need the additional stuff to run Pro Tools as your editor for the 11R. If you miss unchecking those options in the dialog, no problem. You can get rid of the stuff later by simply uninstalling from the Windows system control. This is what I did yesterday (I am currently on the trial version of Cubase 6, and so far it works like a charm. 56 audio tracks in a session, 8 mix groups, several effects sends, dozens of third party plugins installed, and - unlike Pro Tools - it runs without any glitches on my laptop.) . Pro Tools 9 now takes 55 seconds to load (including retrieval of the current 11R settings), which is OK. Unfortunately, getting rid of the plugins and creativity tools does not reduce Pro Tools' CPU footprint significantly ...
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 PM

i bought my 11R with protools LE, which works fine in windows xp. my machine was slow and didn't have much ram either.

once i installed protools, i never used it for anything except the GUI. i record in sonar x1 using the eleven rack just fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf_T View Post
Congrats on your purchase! It is hard to image that you will not like the sounds you will be getting from it, as long as you hook it up to decent speakers

As far as your concers on "loading Pro Tools with all the plugins" go, you can get rid of the plugins. If memory serves well, there will be is a dialog appearing during the installation process showing all the elements that will be installed. Simply uncheck everything but the Pro Tools application (additional options are something like "plugins", "creativity tools", and "Mac disk support"). You do not need the additional stuff to run Pro Tools as your editor for the 11R. If you miss unchecking those options in the dialog, no problem. You can get rid of the stuff later by simply uninstalling from the Windows system control. This is what I did yesterday (I am currently on the trial version of Cubase 6, and so far it works like a charm. 56 audio tracks in a session, 8 mix groups, several effects sends, dozens of third party plugins installed, and - unlike Pro Tools - it runs without any glitches on my laptop.) . Pro Tools 9 now takes 55 seconds to load (including retrieval of the current 11R settings), which is OK. Unfortunately, getting rid of the plugins and creativity tools does not reduce Pro Tools' CPU footprint significantly ...
OK, thanks!
But won't unchecking plugins also cause the 11R editor not to start? I assume the editor works as a plugin inside ProTools?

Quote:
i bought my 11R with protools LE, which works fine in windows xp. my machine was slow and didn't have much ram either.

once i installed protools, i never used it for anything except the GUI. i record in sonar x1 using the eleven rack just fine

My plan excactly...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztevie View Post
But won't unchecking plugins also cause the 11R editor not to start? I assume the editor works as a plugin inside ProTools?
In my case it did not, but probably because I ran the Eleven Rack Expandion.exe in order to update the GUI so it display the new features of the ERXP. This is a separate installation.

To be on the safe side, run the PT installer without unchecking any options, except for the Mac Disc stuff which you will not need anyway. You can uncheck this option when installing PT.

After installing go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins and make a backup of all *.dpm and *.dpm.rsr files starting with "Eleven". On Win XP the root path might be "C:\Programs\", if you cannot find it easily, use Windows Explorer and search for "DAE".

Open the Start menu and then click on 'Control Panel', click on "Programs (and Functions? Sorry, I am on the German version of Windows)". Uninstall the PT plugins, and the PT creativity tools. After that go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins and check whether or not the "Eleven" files are still in there. There are some additional files which will not be deleted: Elastic Audio, iZotope_Radius_Win32.dll and libsndfile.dll. I have kept those file because I will probably still be using PT for doing some editing that make use of elastic audio. As you do not plan on using PT for anything but editing the 11R, you can also delete them. Also make sure that C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-In Settings is empty now.

Delete Pro Tools Databases and Preferences following the instructions found here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...411&NewLang=en

For Win XP root paths might be slightly different, but you get the idea. If you have not started PT so far, some of the folders might not exist yet, so do not worry about this.

Reboot your computer now. After rebooting use a registry cleaner (e.g. CCleaner) in order to get rid of all the registry entries that have not been deleted by the uninstaller.

Reboot your computer and start PT (make sure you start it with administrator properties). The first time you start PT it will take a while, because PT will set up the database and preferences. If you have a virusscanner running in the background, add PT to the exception list.

Note that everytime you install third party plugins, you will have to uncheck the RTAS versions. Some installers do not allow for this. You will have to delete the according files manually after installing your plugins.

Going through this sounds like a pain in the neck ... You should do so after upgrading to the version of PT you will finally use, probably PT 8.0.5 as it supports the ERXP. Here is the link to the 8.0.5 download:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=393667

Have fun!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks Ralf!
Seems like a hazzle, but we'll see when I get around to install PT...
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 AM

So in the end I got a new Eleven Rack, but an older unit from a shop that had one layin around. It works like it should, 44,1 kHz is OK, and everything is super...

However, the LE 8 disc that came with it is bad, can not read data from it properly, a very common fault it seems from other threads...?
Opened a support case with Avid, to try to get a downloadable full installer, but no luck so far, they adviced me to copy the disc to the computer but of course that won't work either...
We'll see what to do, I hope they will make right and provide me with a download, as other people with the same problem got...