Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Recording a Dry Signal

Hello Folks,

I am not finding my way around this eleven rack ....

How can i record a pure dry signal then add the effects i want later ??

Please note I am running Pro Tools 11 ... so no eleven rig window
Pro Tools 2019.6
Logic Pro X
Reason 10.4

Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack SPDIF/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad Thunderbolt
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Acoustic Yamaha Guitar
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840

http://equipboard.com/becharasaliba
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Recording a Dry Signal

DJ...as long as you're using the 11R as your interface, simply select GUITAR IN as you input option and you'll get the DI track. You can create multiple tracks with the same input and effect them differently, as well, or simply duplicate your DI'd track and do the same.

Hope this is clear and helps.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 AM

I am using it connecting the outs of the Rack to a Mixer ....
Pro Tools 2019.6
Logic Pro X
Reason 10.4

MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840

Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Why not use the Eleven Rack as the interface? It makes it much easier to do things like this.

Are you talking the Main Outs or the Digital Outs connected to a Mixer?

You could hookup one of the Amp Outs and set that signal out as Guitar and run that into the mixer. Or I guess you could bypass everything in the chain or turn on the tuner and record a dry signal that way, but then you wouldn't have the effected guitar tone.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Okay .. First I am using the analog outs ... my mixer doesn't have a digital input ...

As for why I am not using it as the interface ... My mixer allows me to run as low as 64 samples ... does the rack allows me to do so and for how many track counts more or less ?

Can you please elaborate a little bit more on the "turn on the tuner and recording a dry signal ? "

Cheers
Pro Tools 2019.6
Logic Pro X
Reason 10.4

MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840

Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 AM

You know at some time you'll actually will need to read the User Guide for the Eleven Rack so you can work these things out for yourself.

How many ways do you want to skin a cat?

1. The bleeding obvious way...
Turn all blocks/effects off in the processing rig, set the rig mono, feed the analog out into an input channel on your mixer. Yes you can record dry only that way. No wet reference to record and no ability to hear a wet Eleven Rack processed signal while playing.

2. The FX loop way....
Put the FX loop at the head of the rig chain. Drive your mixer into with the FX Loop out L channel. Now you can record dry (mono) and wet (mono or stereo) via your analog mixer. Too bad if you need to use the FX loop for something else, you can't. Play with he FX loop and read the user guide to understand its settings.

3. The old skool way...
Buy a guitar DI/signal splitter box and split the signal before the input to the Eleven Rack. Like a nice Radial box http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php Yes every studio needs one (or several) of these anyhow.

4. The digital interface way...
Get a larger/better interface with S/PDIF or AES/EBU input and run the Eleven Rack as an outboard processor to that over a one of those digital links and use the split dry/wet L/R digital settings to send both dry and a reference (mono) wet signal over this link to the interface. This exact scenario is well described in the Eleven Rack User Guide. No I don't really expect you to do this (but you have an analog mixer that has interface functionality but not a single S/PDIF input? That seems a silly oversight by the manufacturer).

5. The (probably) best way....
When you want to track guitar then switch to the Eleven Rack as an interface and record wet (stereo or mono) and dry (mono) simultaneously, and all done as native digital without unnecessary analog conversion and resampling, and keep use of the FX loop etc.. Then switch back for other stuff. And if you want low latency for tracking guitar, yes just connect the Eleven Rack directly and use LLM. You really never tried this?

Details on how to do all the Eleven Rack things I mentioned above is covered in the User Guide. And once you have the dry signal and are ready to reamp, that is very well covered in the User Guide.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 AM

Oh two more, maybe less practical, but for completeness here we go...

6. The it's staring me in the face way...
You've got a Mackie mixer with built in DI. Want to just track pure dry with no Eleven Rack wet processing just bung yer guitar plug in the DI input on the mixer. You (obviously) lose the True Z input on the Eleven Rack. And tracking dry only is no fun.

7. In and out and round about...
As above but use an aux send (or the "recording outputs" on the DB-25-- gee I had to go and check the manual for your mixer) of a line level output of the dry signal from the mixer to a line input on the Eleven Rack and set the rig input for the Eleven Rack to that line input. And record the mono or stereo analog output wet signal from the Eleven Rack into the mixer line inputs as well as your dry channel directly from the mixer.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Darryl ... I did find this article: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_to/en352011

it's absolutely what I was looking for ... I have just one question ... can you please check this pic ... it's the connections of my mixer http://www.mackie.com/Products/onyxi...40i%20Back.jpg

As I knew, I need 5 connections:
2 outs from the Eleven to ...?
2 line inputs from the Eleven to ...?
1 Amp out Left from the Eleven to ... ?

Can you please help to which jacks I should plug them when you have a closer look at the pic of the back of my mixer in order to have the optimum sound ?

Best
Pro Tools 2019.6
Logic Pro X
Reason 10.4

MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840

Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 AM

That is a variation of the FX loop. I was not thinking of that exactly, and unfortunately the signal is unbalanced, but it will work. Personally just because I like balanced signals I'd do this with the FX Loop. But yes this counts as way #8!

#8. Amp 1 and Amp2 outputs...

You need to play around and learn. And in the process you might try several different ways and pick what works best for you. If you want to start by trying Amp 1 and/or Amp2 outputs then plug a 1/4" TR cable (or TRS cable) into the Amp1 output. Connect the other end to one of the line (not mic) inputs on your mixer. On the Eleven Rack front panel work out how to use the User Options menu "Output to amps" screen to set the Amp1 output point in the chain. If you put it at the rig input then that output to your mixer will be the dry guitar, or you can put it at the amp input, amp output or rig output. You can do the same independently for the amp2 output on the back panel of the Eleven Rack and say put Amp1 output at the beginning (dry) and Amp2 output at the end of the chain (wet). But that wet output will only be mono. And if you want a stereo wet signal then just take taking the Main outputs of the Eleven Rack to a pair of line inputs on the mixer. The dry signal will be low level, you need to turn up the gain/zoom in in Pro Tools to make sure you see and hear it. And be aware that Amp1 and Amp2 outputs have separate level controls adjusted in the Eleven Rack "output block" in the rig chain. Have the user guide open in front of you as you do this. All the info is right there.

Get one thing working at a time. Like just get the wet signal connected from the Eleven rack to the mixer and into the DAW first, then the dry signal and then you can worry about how to get outputs from the mixer going to the Eleven Rack for reamping. If you have a real guitar amp handy you can plug the amp1 or amp2 outputs into its guitar input and play with that to learn how the settings for amp1 and amp2 work.

But again if you just want to track guitar say against some prerecorded backing tracks I would do that by switching to the Eleven Rack as an interface.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 AM

Ok Darryl ... now it is starting to make sense to me... :) There you go ...

I plug in the main XLR outputs of my eleven racks into two line levels inputs on my mixer (to record the wet signal out of the eleven rack)
I plug in either the Eleven to Amp Left on the front OR the Eleven to Amp Right on the back to get the dry mono signal from the eleven Rack (knowing that using both is useless since I am getting the same mono signal) so I plugin one of the two mentioned into a line level inputs on my mixer also ....

with the setup above .. I'll be able to record at anytime simultaneously or not the wet and dry signal ....

Now to sum it up, let's say I would like to add the desired effects from eleven to the dry signal recorded previously ... (this is what you call re amping) in terms of connections I should be connecting the line inputs of the ELEVEN to some sort of outputs on my mixer
1: would AUX SENDS on my mixer do the job ?
normally they should do the job since i am sending the dry signal to the eleven which is processed there and then i should be hearing the processed signal from the eleven main outs ....
2: now let's go back to Pro Tools ... the trick is to arm a stereo audio track with the inputs being the main outs of the eleven rack
and the dry signal track outputs being ""WHAT""???
Pro Tools 2019.6
Logic Pro X
Reason 10.4

MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840