How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Re: TransVST !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
Can you imagine the excitement if a wrapper for TDM/RTAS/VST2/VST3 came included with PT 11!
It would be better if such wrapper are included in PT11. But I think PT11 will come as a 64bit-only product, so it is hard to think old 32bit VSTs and RTAS can be wrapped unless a tricky bridge or something like that is employed.

As like TransVST's screen capture says, existing 32bit plug-ins (old VSTs and RTAS) will not be able to wrap for use with 64bit PT.

http://himemanik.com/
http://www.facebook.com/himemanik2
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Even if an Avid wrapper wasn't that efficient, it would be nice just to have older sessions come over in tact.

By the way, TransVST is both 32bit and 64bit.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
LiquidSonics

One of AAX's selling point to developers has been a potential reduction in piracy on account that a hacked plugin will not load in PT because it's developer assigned binary signature will fail. This assumes PT isn't cracked to remove that check, and that the signing mechanism isn't forged either; probably both are a better assumption than developers being able to fortify their plugins as well as PT can be fortified (because checks can be hidden more easily and not all devs want iLok involved), but this isn't an area for that kind of piracy/security debate - you probably get my point. If a signed VST-AAX plugin can simply load unsigned VSTs, this capability is lost. Avid may not want that, and devs who are paying Pace for the privilege to sign their AAX plugins probably don't either (it adds a piracy vector they didn't anticipate and nulls their investment in Pace's signing tools which was probably justified precisely to reduce piracy).

I suspect the banned wrapping technology will likely end up being licensed to developers on a case by case basis, this will make Sugar Bytes a wedge of cash, and will likely mean some plugins that otherwise would not have ended up being ported because the dev made a financial or time based decision not to do so for whatever reason will see light as an AAX. Having a developer intentionally license the tech means they are going to put effort into making it compatible with any quirks needed to wrap well, so hopefully this will help alleviate some of the bad feeling amongst some VST-RTAS wrapper users when x or y won't work properly and the dev doesn't want to put effort into making it work for whatever reason. It's a shame abandon-ware can't now be resurrected as it could with a wrapper, but it's a better place to be than before we leant about TransVST in the first place, it's just a shame it's not quite what it appeared initially.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Interesting... thanks for the info Matt.
You've stated reasons why a developer would be attracted to AAX, but what about the users investments?

I'm still inclined to believe that TransVST will be released... eventually.
And it will be to everyone's benefit.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM
LiquidSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
Interesting... thanks for the info Matt.
You've stated reasons why a developer would be attracted to AAX, but what about the users investments?
I assume you refer to the user's investments in VST plugins that they intended to use in the PT environment which we may find can't be used in an AAX only version of PT. I recognise the issue here, yeah that kinda blows, so I agree it would be good to see the wrapper released. I hope for their sake it works without a hitch!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM

Just wanted to bring this discussion up again. As soon as Pro Tools 11 comes, a VST-AAX wrapper will be needed for a bunch of virtual instruments that have never been RTAS.

I hope AVID will re-think their decision regarding this.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM

I seriously don't think we'll be seeing that one again, you are better to just go with a host that's available, either nomad factory magma, native instruments maschine or by using reaper through rewire

PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Eichelberg View Post
Just wanted to bring this discussion up again. As soon as Pro Tools 11 comes, a VST-AAX wrapper will be needed for a bunch of virtual instruments that have never been RTAS.

I hope AVID will re-think their decision regarding this.
Nine weeks later, and two weeks after the PT11 product launch, I cannot help but reiterate this post. And I say this as a long time loyal customer and user of ProTools.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367121

Why did this come about? Is it really building a better business model for AVID?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedge View Post
Nine weeks later, and two weeks after the PT11 product launch, I cannot help but reiterate this post. And I say this as a long time loyal customer and user of ProTools.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367121

Why did this come about? Is it really building a better business model for AVID?

It's not going to happen - the post-audio guys that Avid's now wholely focussed on don't care it you can't use Tone2 or Audio Damage plugs in PT11 therefore neither do Avid.

Cough up $300 for VEPro or piss about with Reaper for a more "authentic user experience" as Avid put it when announcing why they arbitralily rejected the wrapper.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com
7 ways to host VST in PT's 11

Testing:All APFS 90% 10% Audio on HFS+(Testing 1.5 yr in)
Pro Tools U-2019.10 macOS 10.14.6 APFS
Second boot-macOS 10.13.6 (Avid HDX-1 Omni)

(MP 5,1 / 64-Gb)
(Sapphire RX-580 MVC-Edition)
MOTU FW-CoreAudio (for poly recording)
(SSL-HUI-MIDIoverIP)
----
music-design-creation
Post Music-Sound mixing, Production-Enhancements.

Audio Tuning and System Services
new systems builds/upkeep
----