Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Default no midi input devices help....

Ive got an 003+ rack. Midi was working fine until yesterday when it is showing no midi input devices within pro tools. My 003+rack is picking up midi signal and displaying it on the LED but in pro tools there is not input devices. Does anyone know how to resolve this please??

thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Default Re: no midi input devices help....

Make sure you haven't removed MMERefresh from the system Startup list.
MMERefresh is necessary for Digi Midi.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 AM

yes thats on startup still. Its happened before but i had to reinstall protools to resolve the issue but i dont want to have to do this all the time this happens.

anything else i could check??
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

I have the same issue exactly. I dont know what it can be.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM

OK, I have been working on this. It seems (to me) that this is caused by PT 7 not uninstalling properly,PT 8 not installing correctly, and interference by other softwares. Many reasons for this, I think I had them all.

Firstly, it seems that a benevolent app, like Spyware detector, Registry Mechanic, some...er...naughty software or the like, easily has the potential to mess up your PC beyond recovery. So one reason is that your installation of Win XP might be so far buggered up that not properly installing PT8 realy should be the LEAST of your worries....even if you dont know it yet!

This is easily solved. Doing a clean install of XP is very easy, you pop in the CD (while in windows) select install and follow the instructions. (Back up your personal files first of course).

After that bit of fun is done, you should be left with a clean puter. Install your motherboard drivers and then your graphix card driver, so you can see better my child. All in all 5 minutes work. On this you then install your PT 7x version (NOT THE PT 8 Upgrade), and get it to work. Should be a breeze, mine installed in about half a cigarette.

Dont bother installing 7x's extra plug ins and stuff. You dont need that now and it will only get in the way.

Also , dont bother installing any CS or other &x upgrades you might have gotten. The cleaner the 7x install , the better.

Then you launch your PT 7x. THIS IS IMPORTANT, especially for those who got this install and midi port problems after downgrading from PT8 back to 7x, and then back up again:

PT will then tell you that your firmware of your 003 is out of date, it will want to downgrade it to a 7 version. LET IT.

Then launch PT, see that it works, smile, exit it, and pop in your PT8 upgrade disk. Use the uninstall icon on the upgrade disk to uninstall PT 7. DON'T DO IT THROUGH ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS.

After thats all done, hit setup on the PT8 disk and choose install, and follow the onscreen instuctions.

Now, this is also important, since this might also be an area where many botch the insallation : DO NOT PANIC WHEN YOUR INSTALLATION HANGS. There is an issue with PT 8 istallations hanging on "Installing Digidesign hardware drivers", and the steps above will cure that also (reinstall XP!...aaaarggg!!).

Your installation will seem to hang there, and also at installing creative suite (or something like that ) sometimes for as long as 20 minutes. (or even 30). IT IS NOT FROZEN, its just a really sloppy long winded installer installing some big (but ooo so very sweet) software.

If your installation hangs longer than 50 minutes, then the fault is on your PC side, ant it is really hanging, refer to the start of this post again, or go hang yourself too.

When you launch PT after the install, it will again complain about the 003s firmware. Let it fix itself again(back up to firmware 8)

And there you go, working PT8 installation, and a super clean PC to boot! (yea yea, horrid pun, I know!)

PS, more advice for KEEPING your PC clean: DONT INSTALL ACROBAT READER. Adobe PDF products are full up with spyware. Dont touch them. There are other free pdf readers out there that wont F#$% up your registry and start up services, and that will display your PT manuals just as prettily. Use your Google to find them.

Also, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT install Apple's Quick time, even though PT might complain bitterly about this. Like most media players these days, what you will get is a lot more than an app to play you movies and music, and most of what you get is NOT NICE FOR YOUR PC! Quicktime for PC these days is more like a virus than a player anyway. Rather, Get one of the opensource players for your entertainments, and for viewing Quick time movies in Protools, download and install QT Lite. It is QuickTime, but without Steve Jobbs BillGate'sing you without vaseline.

I know this is an extreme solution to a silly problem that probably is originally caused by PT7's occasional refusal to unsistall properly, but for those out there who are desperate for a silver bullet, this is one.

From inserting XP installation disk to first launch of PT8 was about 3 hours. But then again I was not rushing. (benifits of being retired at 37 hahaha!!!)

Cheers!