Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Default Can I please get some help hooking up a lynx aurora 8 with a digi 002r?

Can someone provide what exact settings are necessary for hooking up a lynx aurora 8 to a digi 002r?

For starters, am I supposed to have or install any kind of lynx software or drivers?

I can't see the lynx in protools. Where should it show up if at all? Do I have to add the additional 9-16 ins and outs and label it myself? I had the impression that it showed up as hardware.

I want to clock with the lynx.
I also set protools to optical and adat

I'm not positive but this is what I've found and have the lynx set to:
Front of lynx set to:
Sample rate 48
Sync Source: Internal
To analog out: lslot in
To digital out: Analog in
(by the way the manual is horrible about explaining the "out settings" above and the settings make no sense to me so any explanation would be nice)
meter:analog?
trim: +4?

I'm good with the hardware set up:
optical cables in and out of digi and lynx
dsub out of the lynx to a patch bay.

(I could have sworn I found info in the past when searching but haven't been able to now that i'm ready to hook it all up. The lynx forum isn't a big help either.)

To sum up, I have no clue what to do in protools to see the lynx or set up the ins and outs.

I'm not sure what the lynx front panel options should be set to.

Thanks for your help and knowledge!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Can I please get some help hooking up a lynx aurora 8 with a digi 002r?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
Can someone provide what exact settings are necessary for hooking up a lynx aurora 8 to a digi 002r?
As long as you have the optical connection made correctly, try this tutorial from my website.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Can I please get some help hooking up a lynx aurora 8 with a digi 002r?

Thanks! I'll run through it when I get home. I read it and it's extremely helpful. One question though,

"Back in Pro Tools, make sure the your I/O settings are set to send and receive from the digital inputs. Go to Setup->I/O…, select the input tab and click the “Default” button. Do the same for the output tab. You can rename all of these I/O to be more descriptive if you want, either here, or by right clicking on the I/O in the main mix/edit windows."

When you select default, does it automatically include the digital inputs?
Should I be "seeing" the aurora lightpipe connection or do I simply set up the extra 8 ins and outs to go digitally then name them myself?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll run through it when I get home. I read it and it's extremely helpful. One question though,

"Back in Pro Tools, make sure the your I/O settings are set to send and receive from the digital inputs. Go to Setup->I/O…, select the input tab and click the “Default” button. Do the same for the output tab. You can rename all of these I/O to be more descriptive if you want, either here, or by right clicking on the I/O in the main mix/edit windows."

When you select default, does it automatically include the digital inputs?
Should I be "seeing" the aurora lightpipe connection or do I simply set up the extra 8 ins and outs to go digitally then name them myself?
Yes, but you won't see inputs specifically called Lynx, you will (should) see the grid showing 18 possible inputs and 8(or 4 stereo pairs) will show up as ADAT 1&2, ADAT 3&4, etc. Pro Tools will "see" the ADAT inputs as such, and you can feel free to rename them according to your needs. My preference(with a Presonus D8) was to only use mono inputs so I have the 8 ADAT inputs setup as all mono, and named Presonus 1, Presonus 2, etc. Don't forget to go into Hardware Setup and select Optical as the clock source(and remember that the DIGI lightpipe input only works at 44.1 and 48K).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the help. I have sound from the lynx now. I haven't had time to test any inputs or routing yet. Plus i need so scour the PT manual and figure what I can out before any more questions (like the "inserts" tab in the I/O settings).
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I have sound from the lynx now. I haven't had time to test any inputs or routing yet. Plus i need so scour the PT manual and figure what I can out before any more questions (like the "inserts" tab in the I/O settings).
Insert paths are for hardware inserts(using an outboard processor on a track inside Pro Tools). Due to the lack of automatic delay compensation, I recommend you simply stay in the box(ITB). Unless you have really top-shelf outboard gear, its really not worth the hassle(besides, there are some great plugins available that will likely embarrass the average project studio's outboard gear).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Insert paths are for hardware inserts(using an outboard processor on a track inside Pro Tools). Due to the lack of automatic delay compensation, I recommend you simply stay in the box(ITB). Unless you have really top-shelf outboard gear, its really not worth the hassle(besides, there are some great plugins available that will likely embarrass the average project studio's outboard gear).

Albee, I'm with you on the goodness of plugins, but I'm also interested in adding hardware inserts. Once you've calibrated the round trip delay out and back in through the Lynx, then to do additional outboard processing (or summing) isn't it just a matter of adding the appropriate nudge to your newly recorded track?