Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM

Default A better way to side chain?

I hear people talk about sending a side chain to an EQ, or another compressor, and I know how to in PTLE, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do the routing than I know.

Let's say I'm compressing a kick and I want the compressor to target certain frequencies in the kick( I know I could use the bulit-in side-chain of the DYN III but for educational purposes...)

The way I know how to do this is:

1) duplicate the kick track, and on the duplicate track set the output to "bus 3". Eq it too pronounce the frequencies you want to target, and send it out on "bus 3". On the real kick track key in "bus 3" on the compressor.

Is there a better way? Is there a way to just go to an EQ on an aux track and back?

Could I bus the kick signal from the original track to an aux track, insert an Eq, then send it back to the compressor key with either a send to "bus 3" or output to "bus 3"? Would not that create a loop where the kick is compressing itself while being compressed? (Which I've tried and sounds interesting, but did not give me the effect I was looking for).

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: A better way to side chain?

Those are two of the many ways to skin that cat. There is no "loop" created. Just make sure the duplicate track or aux strip doesn't output to the mix.

Another technique is to use a duplicate track or aux, use one strip to focus on the lows (aka the brown note), and the other to focus on the beater impact. Many folks use two mics for the job, but if you're shy on recording inputs (like LE is prone to be) then it's a lesser evil than side-chaining the comp.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: A better way to side chain?

Thanks for the reply. Two points.

First, I'd like to double check about my loop question. I understand about not sending what I bus to the EQ out to the mains, but are you saying that none of the compression (and therefore volume adjustment) is being sent through the bus to the Aux with the EQ on it? Because if it is, that compressed signal is being routed back into the compressor key and effecting your original audio track, which is then sending an exponentially compressed signal out through the bus to the aux again, and round and round.

I actually tried this and got an fairly unpleasant sound that I had to quickly turn down. I probably clicked the pre-fader button, but I don't remember.

Secondly, is there a more eloquent way. I hear people talking about just putting an EQ on the send path. Is there something I'm missing. I'm obviously over thinking probably, but that's what I tend to do. Thanks.