Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 10-27-1998, 09:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT24 / NT - Any FAQs or More details on how it works and operate on NT?

Session .ses files and PT NT session files are completely incompatible and always will be. There is no way to rectify this. They are two very different programs written in different programing languages. They're apples and oranges. The good news is the S8 audio file format (.WAV) is the same native file format as PT NT. So the only work around we can offer is to suggest you bounce any session 8 tracks you need, store them on your drive(s) and import them into a PT session.

PT Project and PT TDM (mac) are the exact same program. One features TDM technology and one doesn't. So it makes sense that you can open a TDM session into a project system. What happens is the session comes up and warns the user that certain plug-ins will not be instantiated. User says, "OK" and the session opens. What allows this to work is that it's the same program written in the same language, using the same system files and (essentially) the same hardware. I hope this information is helpful.

Tom S
Old 10-27-1998, 10:57 AM

Default Re: PT24 / NT - Any FAQs or More details on how it works and operate on NT?

Thank you, Tom. But some kind of translator maybe? In the future? ;-)
OK, I can go with it (I have spare S8 ;-)
I have another question. This is the question to Digi or one of beta-testers: How windows in
PT/NT works? Is it like in Session8, where you have to click on bar to
put it in front and you can work even on partially covered window
without moving it to the top (I LOVE that feature!!!) or clicking
anywhere in window brings it to the top immediately (like in Mac and
other Windows apps)?
Thanks,
Przemek.
Old 10-28-1998, 10:12 AM
Avid

PT NT screen operation works similar to the mac. In order to do somthing on a particular screen, you click on it and it jumps forward.

Pro Tools will run in the background and multitask quite nicely. You can do almost any type of editing as the program plays. You can hide it off in the task bar and open another program. It will continue to play. This feature is similar to mac operation, but NT memory space is protected so it's very solid on the NT OS. If any program crashes while PT is running in the background, it tends not to disturb PT at all. This is very different on a mac in that the whole system will crash if one program crashes.

Tom S.
Old 10-28-1998, 01:14 PM

Tom - did you know that feature I've mentioned was worth second monitor ;-)?
I used to work with maximized edit window and one track from mix window with meter in one corner - usually covering bin. Working this way I was (in fact I still am) able to edit in edit window AND meter was always visible! This is for me way of working when recording overdubs for films or language courses - and now I will have to resize windows! PITY.
Przemek.
Old 10-28-1998, 02:23 PM

Przemek,
You know that with PT you can display meter and mixing controls in the edit window right?
-MR
Old 10-28-1998, 02:55 PM

Yes, I know. I have PT with AMII on my old Quadra. But I cannot, for example, adjust volume ;-( And when I do it, edit window now dissappears. But who cares, when one has PT|MIXplus? ;-)
Thanks MR,
Przemek.
Old 10-29-1998, 09:06 AM
Avid

Pizemek. In the PT edit window, if you show / display I/O view (in the display menu) you can pop up a volume fader in the track info box (left hand side of the edit screen) by clicking the mouse down on "volume". This, of course, works during playback.

Tom S.
Old 10-29-1998, 02:09 PM

Thank you, Tom - I hope you'll manage to sell me PT|MIXplus/NT this year and I'll have opportunity to check it out ;-)