Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Looking for microphone recommendation

I would like to ask you folks for recommendations for a good mic for recording a steel string acoustic guitar. Something comparable in sound to an Oktava MC012 (or MK012) but with better quality construction. I had an Oktava mic and was able to use it once before it just stopped working. I ended up returning it and could not get another one because the company stopped carrying them (due to all the returns). That one recording I got before it crapped out sounded better than anything I have done thus far with my Rode NT1A and my acoustic. Apparently the quality control isn't up to snuff. I know that I could pay about twice as much ($200.00 or so) and get one that has been through extra inspection from The Sound Room but I want your thoughts on whether I might could do better for around the same or maybe a few hundred more than I would pay them. I have seen the Rode NT5 advertised for $400.00 for a pair. Also the AKG 451B seems like a contender at around $450.00. Having a matched pair of mics isn't a requirment for me but I wouldn't pass on buying a decent pair if that was the only way to get them. I am making an assumption that a small diaphragm condenser might be preferable to a larger mic in most cases. I make the assumption based on a simple observation that most studios I have been in seem to use them for acoustic guitars. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gimme some opinions!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Looking for microphone recommendation

i've been able to get good results with my
MXL 603s's the Okatva's may be better though
but they work for me for now..

what i really want but is more than $450 bucks
is a matched pair of Neumann KM 184s
they're great for Overheads on drums
and for acoustic guitars
they go for 1,449 for the matched pair
i hope to have these by the end of the year
along with 3 MD 421s

but i dont think i'll get my Lawson L47 this year
but it will come one day
Old 01-26-2004, 11:26 PM

Neumann KM 184s (~$725 each), if you can afford them. I've heard varying opinions on the NT5s. I also like the NTK and the AKG C414 TLII, if you might want to go with one large-diaphragm condenser instead. I see no reason why the banjo center wouldn't let you try them all out.

Or, buy some cheap Rode NT3s (not a terrible mic, IMHO) and spend the rest somewhere else in the signal chain.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 PM

I saw the Neumann KM 184 in a catalog somewhere. Given the brand reputation and stats for that mic that looks like a winner in every catagory except price. While they are certainly worth the money, that one will have to wait until my next round of blowing money on my hobby. One day though......
Old 01-26-2004, 11:54 PM

I haven't had bad results with my Rode NT1-A so I am not dead-set against large diaphragm mics. I usually put it around the 14th fret or so and aim it slightly toward the sound hole with the low-end rolled off and then double track. I was able to get a better sound with a single track using the Oktava in about the same postion and no high pass filter though. Is there a reason that it seems like the smaller diaphrams mics are used more for this application or is it my imagination?

Also, I saw some posts with the FMR RNP and RNC mentioned as good quality pre's and compressors. I was looking around to get some info on them and ran across this. Looks like a pretty cool deal and not terribly expensive although I wish it had a digital out option.

Funk Logic FRT 1u rack mount faceplate/rackmount tray with FMR RNP & RNC

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 AM

Hands down my fav mics for acoustic guitar, and probably one of the more popular combinations is a pair of AKG C414B ULS. A versatile mic to have in the aresenal for sure, they are excellent vocal mics, overheads, piano, reeds, etc. while not cheap (a used pair will run $1000, new around $1500) they are IMHO well worth the money. We have 3 here and they are constatly working.

On the short end try a apir of Audio Technica 4041's if you can find them.

You're not the first one I've heard witn Oktavia problems. While some of their mics sound ok, they got a major quality control problem.

The SD Rode mics (NT-4 stero mic and NT-5) sound very thin and brittle, I'd advise staying away from them.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:33 AM

If you want Oktava try thesoundroom or recordingservices .

James
Old 01-27-2004, 07:21 PM

I have ONE nearly new AKG C-414B TLII (the better of the 414's) listed on Sweetwater's site for 999.00 I will sell to a PT user for 550.00 It includes carrying case, shockmount and windscreen. Also I have ONE Neumann KMS-105 (black handheld style condenser Mic) Sweetwater has them for 585.00 I will sell mine for 400.00. We are using matched pair mics now in our plant..and these are single units bought new, and well taken care of. Also if anyone needs a shockmount for a TLM103 I have one for 95.00..new in box. Anyone want these I will sell via PayPal, and pay shipping. Let me know before I put these on Ebay. Email me with questions [email protected]
Old 01-27-2004, 07:35 PM

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATM11R (SDC) and they sound very nice on acoustic guitars, amps, piano, and overheads. I dont know much about them because they stopped making them I think. What about the Shure SM81's I hear those are real nice
Old 01-27-2004, 11:23 PM

I have seen the Rode NT5 advertised for $400.00 for a pair.

Check eBay, shouldn't have to pay more than about $250 (new matched pair, full warranty etc). That's where I got my NT4 for $350.

However, the NT5 (and NT4) roll off somewhat in the high treble, not a good aspect for acoustic guitar or overheads. I think it's best to get a pair that is good for both those jobs, since it's not often you'll record drums and acoustic guitar at the same time. I also like to use a pair of SDC's on acoustic. In that price range I'd recommend AT4041's, but they've got a really high output, you'll need -20dB pads for use as overheads.