Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM

Default pro tools hanging/freezing

Hello - I'm running Pro Tools 12.4 with a Pro Tools Duet. My computer is an iMac running 10.11.2 with 8 mbs of RAM. All of the above is new as of 2 weeks ago.

Pro Tools gets stuck periodically. I first noticed it when I ran the click plug-in - the display stuttered as the track ran (ie, the beat count and clock in the transport window). It SOUNDED fine - but the display stuttered. When I turned off the flashing light on the click plug-in, everything worked fine.

Now that I have recorded a few tracks in a session (~8), sometimes the display will freeze. I'll get the spinning beach ball, or else the entire screen will simply freeze. When this happens, if I switch to finder by hitting command~, it will snap out of it. This happens on playback and recording. In fact, in recording, not only does the screen freeze, but if I have the click running, it goes silent when the display freezes.

I keep the system usage window open throughout all of this. The memory seems to hover around 22%, the Disk crawls up to 5% or so, and the CPU Total also goes to around 5%.

For what it's worth, when using this computer to stream video (Netflix, HBO GO), every couple of minutes it stutters, just for a few seconds.

Since this is all brand new equipment, I'm quite eager for everything to work seamlessly.

Also - where can I find my system ID? I tried to call Avid customer service but I couldn't find the proper info.

Thanks so much,

-Alec
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Re: pro tools hanging/freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Berlin View Post
8 mbs of RAM.
There's your problem, you only have 8 megabits of MEMORY!

Jokes aside, all i can think of is it might be the hard drive, do a test to see if there are any errors. It could also be an application running in the background, but id do the hard drive check first
Old 01-11-2016, 04:07 PM

Just to be clear - 8 mbs ought to be enough, right? I planned on adding more anyway, but I figured that'd just be insurance - raising an already high ceiling. The session I'm having problems with is not particularly involved.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM

no ok, but did you do the hard drive check for errors?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:50 PM

No, 8 MEGS of ram isn't enough. I'm thinking maybe you meant 8 GIGS of ram....
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Read my threads earlier. This wil not work with the Imac Late 2015. Not at all.
I would sell it.

I did.
Problem solved

Get a mac mini
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 AM

yeah dont think the guys ever coming back