Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Default Why no "Save As"? How do we save changes to a new version without overwriting?

I'm using PT First to collaborate with someone and I just made structural changes to a song (added bars) and wanted to save it to a new project so I wouldn't lose the original. So I thought I would just use Save As (a feature all other programs have), but it's not an option. What am I missing? Is this just a limitation of PT First? Can you do this in the paid versions? How else can I save two versions of a song?

Also there's no way to save locally when collaborating. Is this also just a limitation of PT First?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Why no "Save As"? How do we save changes to a new version without overwriting?

Not a PTF user, but in the regular version, you have a Save As option under the file menu. Could it be that you are using "Projects" instead of "Sessions"? Projects are in the cloud. Sessions are on your local hard drive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Why no "Save As"? How do we save changes to a new version without overwriting?

Yeah. I tried to use it and set it up for a client to generate some interest for him in moving from Logic to Pro Tools. I am a veteran Pro Tools user, I've used PT since it was called Sound Tools/Sound Designer (2 separate apps for either editing or mixing). I've owned every version since, and I own PTU. PTF was so ridiculously convoluted that I started writing a list of things wrong with this from a standpoint of Avid attracting new users, but I had to just give up. It's utterly useless, and a waste of time and space. This app should be simple, the same as regular Pro Tools but with limited features, but it's just not. It's been disabled to a point of absurdity. It's overly-complicated regarding saving files/sessions/projects with ridiculous auto-named cryptic folder names, things saved in bizarre default locations, inability to save to a preferred location, any sample rate above 44.1k, no 3rd-party plugins, simple visual prefs missing, etc. The list is endless. The old Pro Tools Free was actually usable.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 10-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Right , it’s the worst possible bad-product. A logic user should be horrified.
Whichever clown thought this was a good idea must still be in power at Avid or somebody paying attention would have killed it.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:01 PM

yeah, luckily I didn't even show it to my Logic client. He would definitely have been absolutely horrified at my judgment.

If Avid are thinking this will attract users to their platform, they are sadly mistaken. Anyone who tries this will be alienated for life.

Avid should pull it, apologize, and give any existing PTF subscribers a free 1-year subscription to PT Basic.

In the meantime they should work on simply stripping down PT Basic even further to say 16 tracks, max 96k, and create some excitement with a brand-new PTF release in 2 months. Hey, just in time for some xmas joy. We're gonna need it. Even JC is sad right now.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
snip . . . The old Pro Tools Free was actually usable.
Well at least we know someone at Avid is actually reading this thread because an admittedly snarky part of my post was snipped out without editorial comment. Good. We have proof.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Well at least we know someone at Avid is actually reading this thread because an admittedly snarky part of my post was snipped out without editorial comment. Good. We have proof.

Mods can edit posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Mods can edit posts.

Can? Yes. Do? No. It isn’t our policy to edit anyone’s posts. Although it is really easy for us to accidentally go into edit rather than reply. More than once I’ve had to try to back out gracefully when I realized what I was deleting wasn’t part of a quote but rather the post itself. If a post is problematic, we typically report it, and if egregious enough we’ll unapprove it. But we still leave it to the admins to make the ultimate call.

Personally I would agree with Tweakhead. I too think PT Free was more usable than PT First. But the question comes down to, is it unusable for the level it’s targeting?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-09-2020, 07:23 PM

So that leaves the question, did an admin delete Tweakhead’s statement? I doubt it. They don’t do that sort of thing either especially since the statement wasn’t a problem.

More often than not, when content goes missing, it’s usually because of a forum hiccup where things seem to jump back to a previous save. If the closing sentence in Tweakhead’s post was tagged on after, this could explain what happened.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 PM

I used PTF to produce a few songs and I honestly thought it was brilliant (eventually). The limit of 3 projects to cloud and no local option wasn’t good as I almost lost work in the cloud so I gave up on that. When they introduced unlimited local projects that solved that problem. Also, the limiting of the number of tracks in a project quickly became an issue but was more than enough to produce decent work and show you the capabilities. That’s what I found anyway as a newbie. Of course it’s possible that my limited knowledge doesn’t allow me to see all the real problems with PTF.