Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Pro Tools/ Logic Pro X MIDI Issues

Hey gang! Got an issue that's cropped up with MIDI not being accurate between Logic and Pro Tools. Done some searching/googling, but I've had no luck so I thought I'd post, see if anyone's come across this before.

I work as an editor for a producer local to me that works in Logic. He'll send me drums to fix up as audio, along with a tempo map from a MIDI file if need be. I'll get them in time, then use DRT to generate MIDI notes for the kick and snare, and go through and align them by hand. I'll then print short audio spikes from that, check they're aligned, and send it all back to drop into his session. MIDI triggers samples using Slate Trigger (more accurate for phase than audio is) and the spikes will sometimes trigger gates or expansion, depending on what he needs.

Recent session, the MIDI isn't lining up once it gets back into Logic on his end. It a full album in one session, so the tempo map changes throughout. Doesn't appear to be a consistent drift, though I'm trusting what he's said for this to be the case. As far as we know this hasn't come up before, though it could just be the first time that it was bad enough for us to notice.

I've included a couple of screenshots, one from him, one from me, hopefully they make sense, but I can try and explain them if needed.

I don't know what information you'll need from me, so let me know if you need anything else to help and I'll do my best!

Jack