Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 02:38 AM

Default Re: New Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
I say jump. I've been on Studio One 4 for almost a year now. It took me a few weeks to get comfortable with it, but it does everything I need. And it's done and paid for. No monthly payment. No annual payment. If I feel I need version 5.x whenever they release it, that's when I pay next. If I want to. No penalty.

This 100% I’ve done the same.
Nearly a year now with S1.
Beats PT for stability and capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 04:26 AM

Another one that doesn't do what Avid has/is doing with PT is Digital Performer. You can jump off the wagon any time and get back on with no reinstatement fee. You just pay for whatever new whole number upgrade price is. And authorization is serial number - no dongle. No subscription but permanent license.

One downside is it's a whole different way of working than in PT - I know because it's my second daw - but due to that I don't use it all that much unless I have a repeat customer who needs rework of an old session. There's no such that as an instrument track like we know it in PT - it's separate a separate MIDI track and a track to hold the vi. If you think this user community can be rough at times - you ain't seen nothing yet if you go visit Motunation (they don't suffer newbies lightly). That and other things make me feel that paying the $199/year for a permanent license is worth it.

QAPLA!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 AM

So can anyone clarify..I have an academic perpetual license..I can keep it going for another year and will still have a perpetual license at the end of it?..Thanks
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
So can anyone clarify..I have an academic perpetual license..I can keep it going for another year and will still have a perpetual license at the end of it?..Thanks
Unless academic licenses are different, my understanding is you can keep it going as long as you want (until Avid change their minds about that too) but you have to keep the upgrade plan current. As soon as you let it expire, your perpetual license is stuck at that version forever and your options will be a) buy a new perpetual license (again, until Avid change their minds about offering perpetual licenses) or b) rental subscription.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:18 AM

Thank you teej..ah tbh I dont mind firing over the 99 for another year or so and see where we get..slightly better midi and I'd be reasonably happy..I was on 11 for long enough..I wont ever go subscription though..
Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
This 100% I’ve done the same.
Nearly a year now with S1.
Beats PT for stability and capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. I have been working with Studio One 4 for a few days and it really has everything I need as well. Plus, it has three excellent built in instruments, Impact, Presence, and Sampler which are all capable and come with a lot of excellent content.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 12-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Another one that doesn't do what Avid has/is doing with PT is Digital Performer. You can jump off the wagon any time and get back on with no reinstatement fee. You just pay for whatever new whole number upgrade price is...
AVID, if you do it THIS way, I think we'd all be happy!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
AVID, if you do it THIS way, I think we'd all be happy!!!
And would have more customers and, there for, more income. But hey, I guess we have to have some level of stupidity in this world or it wouldn’t be funny.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
And would have more customers and, there for, more income. But hey, I guess we have to have some level of stupidity in this world or it wouldn’t be funny.
I can’t wait to see what surprise they’ll have for us next June....

In my idealistic mind I thought to myself that the version they’re working on now(2020.?) is so stable that they said ‘we need to get rid of reinstatements or users will stay on that version for a long time and won’t want to keep up to date’’...

Blink
Old 12-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
I can’t wait to see what surprise they’ll have for us next June....

In my idealistic mind I thought to myself that the version they’re working on now(2020.?) is so stable that they said ‘we need to get rid of reinstatements or users will stay on that version for a long time and won’t want to keep up to date’’...

Blink
Hmmm....yeaaaah riiiight!