Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 11:44 AM

Default Any recommendations?

I've just about had it with Digi001 and the protools bull*****.

They expect us to buy a product with NO support, no compatability except with its backwards limited software, with a hefty price tag.

This is a sorry excuse for a system. Incompatabilities left and right, pathetic selection of plug ins (no VST or directX?
we can't even use the TDM ones),
and CRAPPY SOFTWaRE WITH VERY LIMITED FEATURES. NO ASIO drivers? WHY?

I'm using Nuendo right now (which blows PTLE away) and the software is exactly what I've been looking for (upgraded from Pro Logic).

I'm about 3 error messages away from returning this sorry mistake.

Can anyone recommend a PC soundcard that's compatible with the Steinberg package?
(Nuendo and Reason....that's all I need)

I have a very high performance machine. (PIII with 256 MB ram).

Adam
Old 12-15-2000, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Any recommendations?

If you think that Nuendo 'blows PTLE away', you should definately return your Digi001 and use Nuendo.

You don't even mention what problems you're having so what is the purpose of your post?
I have only had to contact Digi support once and they resolved my problem within minutes.
So don't say that there is no support.
It sounds to me like you didn't do your research before buying the Digi001.
Why are you now complaining about the lack of DirectX and VST plug-ins support?
What made you think that PTLE was compatable with those plug-ins?

You either bought PTLE for a machine that it is not compatable with and just thought that you would get it to work anyway or your machine is compatable and you just aren't following the right steps to fix your problems.

I would never give up my Digi001, I can't wait for PTLE 5.1 and although I don't agree with everything Digidesign does, I think that they have done a great job of delivering ProTools to those of use who would never be able to afford their top-of- the-line systems.

Many thanks to Digidesign and Wavedigital for a truly great system that I couldn't live wothout.

Marc
Old 12-15-2000, 10:41 AM

Well, I've previously used the DigiDesign DiGI001 on a mac. It had flawless integration with other software and software synths, the plug ins seemed to work with no lag, and although the computer was considerably cheaper than mine, it handled everything pretty well.

On my computer, A Pentium 3 with 256 MB RAM, even with running simple eqs echo, and some delays, I constantly exhaust my resources (on 8 tracks!).
It's the result of INEFFICIENT programming. Plain and simple. On the same computer, running Nuendo, I can double the amount of tracks and have same number of plug ins without getting any serious errors.
(I'm a programmer, I know).

There's also a lack of serious high end plug ins for the DIGI001 for the PC.
TDM only plug ins?

But for a creative artist, who needs a canvas, and does a lot of MIDI work, DIGI001 is a disaster.

You're right though, I should have done my research. But I do think DIGIDESIGN should have put a little more effort into the programming before releasing this product.

Adam
Old 12-17-2000, 07:02 AM

Yeah tell 'em sketcher. You hit it right on the nose. It's as if they have inherited code they don't really understand in depth. They know it and don't have the resourses to make it a lighter program. You guys.
Old 12-17-2000, 05:58 PM

Man,I get 24 tracks with 25 plugs no prob on a celeron 566@850, 196 mb ram, on an old Asus p2bf.
Do your home work before droping close to $1000. Also I gladly settle for no DX if the rtas plugs and stuff keep coming out. No DX plug can match a bomb factory comp. We need reverb one for rtas or lexi but hey you never know.
I bought digi001 for one reason and that is to have basicly a studio in a box and it preaty much is. in the future when things like w2000 drivers so we can take advantage of multi processors and stuff, I will be running 100 plugs at a time on dual p4s, 2 gigs of ram. Well I can dream cant I.
The softsynth support should be addresed but I will Probably build another box w/digital outs and I wount have to wory about that. That is alot for on machine to do anyway.
Anyway try posting the errors you get and you system specs and more than likley some one will help you out, Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by KroNEe (edited December 18, 2000).]

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com