Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Does DVD-A have to be 24/96k

Or can it be 88.2k? The reason I ask is because I am about to do my first 96k (or 88) session and I want to reserve the ability to either mix 'in the box' or through a console. I'm of the opinion that when doing the mixdown, it's better to go from 24/88.2k to 16/44.1
So, is it acceptable to supply 24bit 88.2k masters for DVD-A authoring etc?

Thanks,
DW
Old 04-17-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Does DVD-A have to be 24/96k

I am not sure, but I know that if you are using 96k and 24 bit audio files, you can't go wrong. Samplerateconversions should always be avoided because they reduce the quality.

Helge
Old 04-18-2003, 05:26 PM

DVD-A can be any standard bit/sample rate. I believe you can even mix bit/sample rates between channels in 5.1.

-Charles

"I bent my wookie"
Old 04-19-2003, 04:22 AM

Strange, isn't it. I thought the whole idea of dvd A was an INCREASE in quality. What's the point otherwise. The only advantage seems to be a few images and whatever else people are putting there.

DW
Old 04-19-2003, 08:59 PM

A high-res DVD-A surround product can be 96 or 88. The majority seem to be 96 but there is some logic for products that are to be both on CD and DVD-A to be 44 and 88, if you subscribe to that way of thinking.

There is some body of thought that suggests there is no problem sample rate converting from 96 to 44.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I am not sure, but I know that if you are using 96k and 24 bit audio files, you can't go wrong.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've heard plenty of 24/96 recordings that have gone very very wrong. There's a lot more to it than that.

Quote:
Samplerateconversions should always be avoided because they reduce the quality.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure, but he was talking about 16/44.1 for CD (I assume)...in which case a sample rate conversion is necessary, unless you record at 44.1 kHz in the first place (and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that). However, a conversion from 88.2 to 44.1 is "easier" since it simply involved filtering out everything above about 20 kHz and dropping every other sample, where there's more math involved in downampling from 96 to 44.1...although there are some converters out there that do a pretty nice job of it.

Quote:
Strange, isn't it. I thought the whole idea of dvd A was an INCREASE in quality. What's the point otherwise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Being able to put more channels on there. It's an open format so you can decide what's most important...the (theoretically) "best" quality (24/192) which limits you to stereo? Or more channels at a lower rate?

Some converters may sound noticeably better at 96 kHz than 44.1 kHz, but there's no reason one should sound better at 96 than 88.2...

-Duardo
Old 06-25-2003, 07:39 AM

oftentimes, when a project is mastered at a decent mastering house it goes out into state-of-the-art analog processors and back into digital at 16/44.1. at least this is what i would do. so there's no real number crunching conversions. as long as the convertors are top end, there shouldn't be any degradation.