Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Delete Clips Under Certain Length

Greetings and salutations everyone!

I'm trying to see if theres a way to delete all clips under a certain length. I was having and issue with batch fades, where a double fade would randomly appear in the middle, along with a small blip of audio from somewhere else in the audio contained within it. It turned out there was a tiny sliver (usually under 8 milliseconds) in between the two regions I was trying to crossfade. I found that out from a reply that Phil O'Keefe posted in 2002.

I'm editing a 40 chapter audiobook. Like all audio books, it contains many small clips stitched together to get one perfect take. Each of these takes need to be cross faded, meaning there were many opportunities for those pesky tiny third clips to jump in. There are too many for me to efficiently remove one at a time, as at normal editing zoom they're too small to select. Having to hunt through the audio for double fades, zoom in, delete the clip and zoom back out makes me lose my mind after about an hour LOL.

Is there a way to delete all clips under a certain length? That way, I could simply delete them all while in Shuffle Mode, then batch fade the whole thing like usual.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Delete Clips Under Certain Length

A (theoretical) way :
select all the unfaded clips,
apply AudioSuite Gain , 0 db (no change) , "create individual files" !!!
clip list : sort by - file length
check the files by selecting it in the clip list from top to bottom : where is the first file, that is a wanted/long file; delete every file above this.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM

I'm sure that was incredibly helpful... But I have no idea what you just said LOL. I'm very new to Pro Tools, so am pretty dependent upon layman's terms. Now if this was a bike repair, photoshop or woodworking forum, I might be able to communicate better. This, however, is something I'm new to
Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM

If it's alright, could I have a slightly broken down, intro type answer? I know a couple of the items you mentioned, but my mind isn't quite connecting them. I also noticed you're from Germany, the country of origin of the greatest car on earth: The Volkswagen Beetle!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 PM

I did something similar with Beat Detective.
  1. select all clips
  2. capture selection in BD
  3. go to Edit Smoothing
  4. choose Fill and crossfade, and hit smooth
Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Apple Geek View Post
But I have no idea what you just said ...
The sense of the mentioned steps is :
one can sort the clips in the clip list by "file length", but file length is not a clip length - it is the length of the "mother" file, the "whole file clip" (the file, that you can see in Finder/Explorer/Workspace, clips are only a reference to that)
by applying an AudioSuite Gain of 0dB, the clip will become itself a real "file",
"create individual files" in the AudioSuite menu : this assures, that all the selected clips will not become a large single file, but "individual" ones, keeping their length and boundaries,
clip list , the menu there ,"sort by" -> "file length" : the smallest files will be listed on top,
select the top most clip in the clip list - it should be automatically selected in the edit window -> that is your first candidate of an unwanted supersmall clip,
check it, decide to delete or not,
if that is an unwanted file, check the rest of the files, maybe you can "jump" to the let's say 20th clip from the top : if that file is unwanted, you can delete the rest above, too; since those are even smaller.

You might check this on a copy of your session, in case something goes wrong by deleting.

I like the old beetle ... .
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 03-22-2017 at 05:40 AM.