Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Default should I switch from XP to windows 7 with LE 6.8 ??

Hello anyone, . . . . I recently was running PT LE 6.8 with Mbox2 (the original one) . . on a Spectral CB100 w/ Intel 945 chipset. . .spectral doesn't put adequate fans in their computers . .the whole thing overheated after about 4 yrs and motherboard & processor fried. . ok, time to upgrade motherboard & processor. . already have a new Intel quad core i5 660 with 1156 chipset. . . anybody recommend if I should stick with XP with this older version of PT LE?. . .also, I was looking at ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 board. . sound like a good move?? . .also, I bought that computer in 2005, should I also upgrade anything else, like video card or sound card. . .I'm really going to stick with 6.8 for awhile. . .ALSO, should i be concerned with any overclocking once I install the new board? Pardon any obvious tech ignorance on my part. . I'm just an old lonely piano player really. . . . any suggestions would help immensely. -David
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Re: should I switch from XP to windows 7 with LE 6.8 ??

I would stay with XP SP3 if it was me and I wanted to remain at 6.8. The original Mbox is EOSS as of 8.0.1 and Windows 7 wasn't qualified for any version below 8.0.4. Having upgraded to v8x on my 5 to 6 year old computer - with XP SP3 - I'm happy I did as there are a lot more stock plug-ins and some new features too.

You may have to upgrade some of the other components, not sure. I would definitely be getting new RAM and new hard drives - Western Digital Caviar Black 64 mb cache SATA drives to be precise. A new power supply may also be in order. Others may have better/different advice.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Hey thanks!. . .why new power supply?, just curious for knowledge sake. . .more powerful MB and CPU needs more power supply generally speaking I guess ?. . . the old chipset was intel 945G. . like dinosaur now. . .oh yeah, can I just transfer my installed version of Pro Tools and all my plug-ins & soft-synths to a new Hard drive like you are suggesting without having to re -enter product keys and all that jazz. . OR , could I just use like a 1TB external drive to up my GB's. . .I have 2 175 GB SATA drives in it now. . . . any help appreciated -David
Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 PM

If you already have SATA drives and they are working fine for what you do, then no reason to change.

You are basically building a new computer since you will be getting a new motherboard and CPU. That usually means you have to/should do a clean install of the operating system. And that means you need to install all your programs fresh. Of course, you should be saving any files to a separate drive and then bringing them into the new install. I, and others, highly recommend using a program like Acronis True Image Home to make images of your system as you go along so if anything doesn't work out, you can simply go back to a previous image instead of having to start from scratch all over again.

A new power supply may be warranted due to new parts. We don't know since, until you mentioned that you have SATA drives, nobody knew what your old system has.

I just noticed you're planning on an i5 Quad Core CPU. Versions of Pro Tools below 7x will not take advantage of multiple cores and/or HyperThreading. You may have to shut off all but one core of your CPU when running Pro Tools 6.8. I have no experience with that, others may chime in or you can search the forum.

You can also have a look at the i7 Thread in the Stickies above. There may be posters there with i5 experiences to relate.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward