Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Default My mixed feelings on PT8LE...

First, let me say, after the few hours of hands on with my PT8 today, with the Complete Production Toolkit, it works awesome. I really really really like the new interface, the new color schemes, and so far, almost everything I've touched in it. Coming from Digital Performer and Logic Pro, which I still love and use, PT8 is VERY well thought out. So first, and foremost, Digi, you've done well. I do look forward to using this machine for the post work I do.

Now that we have that out of the way, without question, LE NEEDS ADC. Sure, I have the plugin from buying my UAD2 that allows me to ping and handle ADC, this is just nonsense. Both Logic and Digital Performer do ADC and to me, even after an hour of composing I felt annoyed with the fact I have to deal with this. Any not even for external equipment, I have no problem figuring that out if I need to, but I use very large chains of effects when I write scores for detailed ambient textures. I'd *like* to do some of that in PT now instead of creating 6 million Logic sessions that I pull over.

I know this is a topic that has been beat to death on every ProTools form from here to the moon. To hear it repeated is almost like Stairway to Heaven at a guitar shop. But, that said, I shouldn't have to buy an HD system to get ADC. This is the ONE BIG issue I have with PT that just baffles the mind. I can live without more than one interface in LE, but PLEASE make this a priority. Hell, make it a part of the Complete Production Toolkit if you want to push it into a market where you'll recover more of the cost to implement for us. I mean, with the $2k I dropped on the CPT, I think that's a hefty investment I've made into Digidesign on top of all the other money I've spent.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Re: My mixed feelings on PT8LE...

Congrats Digidesign! Great Upgrade! Very well said Rick, but I'm with you, Why do i have to pay $50 to a third party developer to have ADC in LE? i much rather pay the $50 to Digidesign so they can implement it better. Digi... do you want my Money?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM

i agree, the mellowmuse ATA is BS. cant believe i got suckered into buying it....
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Is the ATA really that bad? whats wrong with it?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Talking Re: My mixed feelings on PT8LE...

Scott Church has mentioned on his blog and his PT8 videos that they know that ADC is the most request feature from users. But the way ADC works know in HD doesn't work in LE. Scott said it's coming but they have to literally code it from scratch and implement it into the program architecture for it to work. I'm positive it must be a huge project with lots of heavy lifting from multiple programming groups for it to take this long. Feature requesting it everyday is just rude and it's more than obvious to Digi if their company is publicly talking about it how important it is for them to develop it.

Sadly, we all just have to be more patient.

But the real question is, once that feature is in Pro Tools, what's the NEXT MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE NEEDED??

What's everyone going to talk about then?

And yes what is wrong with the Mellowmuse plug-in? I havent bought it but now I'm curious what the deal is? Still too many steps to punch in a number?

I mean ADC isn't flawless even on HD. You still have issues sometimes and have to remember to turn it off when recording and back on for mixing depending on your workflow. It's not magic.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Well ADC works flawless for me on Logic, and almost flawless on Digital Performer, which are both native systems. The only problem on DP has to do with plugins that are on busses that change their latency after they've been initialized.

I personally do not think its rude to complain about ADC, as it really aggravates me to no end that something like score is more important than ADC which I am sure was no simple inclusion into the PT system.

My projects generally run about 30+ tracks with heavy bussing, parallel compression, side chaining, and lots of stacked effects. There is absolutely NO WAY I am going to work on one of these projects in PTLE at the moment. For now, these will happen in Logic where I have no issues with any of this.

For now, I bought PTLE for post work where the most any track has is usually an EQ, and then there are a bunch of busses with reverbs on them for SFX,FOLEY. For this, I can use PTLE.

Don't get me wrong, I am amazed with how far PT has come, as I've been watching it for a long time. But to have to go through and have to calculate delays on tracks because some plugins alter the sound so much that the pinging isn't going to work? No thanks.

That said, I knew what I was getting into, as I knew that ADC wasn't there. But, you have to understand, I was so overwhelmed by the awesomeness that was included in PT8 that its just left me that much more bitter about the lack of ADC. I actually want to work on some of my heftier tracks in it because of all the changes, but that will have to wait.

I did happen to see the video afterwards from the guy that does the protoolsblog, and I am a programmer as well that has written quite a bit of code including AU, VST and LADSPA plugins before. I've delved into CoreAudio and DirectX Audio when I used to be a PC guy. I do not doubt the effort required to add ADC in and all the carefulness to not require two hugely separate code bases, not in the least, but I want them to add my name to the list of people who desperately crave this feature. If EVERY other major DAW is doing it, really, can it be that hard? It's not. Not to mention that absolute efficiency of the Logic engine and it has no problem with it.

They should do an user based poll tied into our accounts on Digi about most desired features. I would absolutely be satisfied with PT with this one feature. Sure, there are others I would like, but this REALLY makes PTLE not a location I am going to do some serious composing in.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 AM

I Agree....

We NEED ADC...

I like logic but i wouldn't switch from pro tools.

i know both programs inside and out and i can edit and mix much faster in pro tools....

Pro tools le needs ADC and the RTAS VI performance could be a bit better
Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimepoch View Post
I know this is a topic that has been beat to death on every ProTools form from here to the moon. To hear it repeated is almost like Stairway to Heaven at a guitar shop.