Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-07-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Quadzilla Headache and 001

To all fellow Quaders!,

Shane asked me to pass this on.
(I really wish he would finish his special release for his 4000 post)

Here is a direct Quote from Shane to all of you as to Deverb tests in 7.3!
Quote:
A message to the Quaders. Please run the standard Dverb test that we have all been using for the Quads. Do not change anything in the test. You must run this for 5 minutes. Also, it has to be 24bit/48k. If you slow down your sample rate, you will get way more Dverbs of course. Try for yourself and see. A 44K session will give you way more plug-ins than 48K. A 12k session will give you a couple hundred Dverbs and put you into HD 12 territory.

The length of time is also important. I've tested laptops that could hit almost 90 Dverbs but would never make it past 30 seconds to a minute without errors. The real results ended up being 55ish Dverbs.

The Quad Dverb Test

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Create 32 tracks. Go to your buffer setting and select 64 and then 1024(CPU usage must be 95%). Since all your tracks are still selected, hold ALT(option) and click on the record button on one of the tracks, all 32 tracks will now be in record arm mode. Hold ALT(option) and insert the Dverb on the first insert. This will create 32 Dverbs all the way across. Repeat with the next insert. You want to be able to record with as many Dverbs as you can before your computer doesnt do it anymore for 5 minutes. Keep in mind that playback only will give you a few more Dverbs than record mode.

If you can make it past the 32 or 48 mono tracks, then start adding mono Aux tracks.

This is a quick benchmark stress test that can be done in a few minutes.

It's best installing PT 7.3(and all other future versions) using a full clean install raher than taking the 'upgrade' route in which you have to uninstall the previous version of PT. This is why you made a disk image of XP without PT installed when you first built your Quad. Which you did do, right?

Shane

Now everyone give Shane a Hard Time about his secert Project so he start posting again!!!

Matt

Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

guys i was thinking along side what Niilo Nuori was thinking but with the aus. motherboard , will the video card that Niilo Nuori work fine witht he aus. board and the rest of the setup, thanks in advance
Old 12-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC and Quadzilla Machine *update*

Some x9blade, some! So what are you achieving on the dverb test now, x9blade? What are your session parameters? 24/48 1024 Samples.

filosofem
Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM

i will do when i get some free time,been busy with long sessions. i was talking to flowdenny we basically have the same machine.he was able to remember session parameters from his last dverb before .3 he did a new session and he got 3 more dverbs on .3 sorry for giving false hope i think my old test were done with a 48 sample rate and the post 7.3 test i did was with 44.1 which probably explains the 30 extra dverbs. i was so hyped. sorry again everyone.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM

also wanted to say stability seems very good. don't know how else to explain but, computer just seems to behave more crisp even though before .3 it was a champ. i will start my fist several hr session tonight with 7.3 hope all goes well. once again sorry for the misinformation i feel terrible
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Quadzilla Headache and 001

Quote:
Now everyone give Shane a Hard Time about his secert Project so he start posting again!!!
Can do!

filosofem
Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 PM

Don't sweat it x9blade, Digi have been in contact with me and will be sending out the authorization code shortly. I just seen Matt P's post and will follow Shane's instructions and at least get a test done for the ASUS boards.

filosofem
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Guitardom,

I have all my hardware hooked up for my Quad and just want to confirm a few items before powering up the first time.

Here's my specs..again. I made a few errors trying to recall it all from memory while at work.:

Asus K8N-DL Socket 940 Motherboard
(2) AMD Optheron 270 ITALY CPU'S
4GB 1024 Corsair PC 3200 DDR-DIMM ECC REG MEMORY
Asus Geforce extreme N6800GT 256 MB DDR3 PCI-Express , Dual DVI, Dual VGA
Western Digital SATA 80GB and 160GB 7200 rpm Hard Drives
Samsung SH-182 DVD/CD/RW
OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU as spec'd

The PSU has 1 - PCI-express cable and (2) VGA/H.D.D.cables I see no place to connect to on the MB. Are these just spares?

I put 2GB of the ram in slots A1 and A2, and 2GB in slots B1 and B2. Nothing in A3 or B3. Is this the optimum setup?

At this point I have (2) Rear Case fans that came with the Chenming Case which was spec'd, (2) CPU fans, (1) MB fan, and (1) Video card fan. Is this sufficient? Or should I put fans in the front of the case as well?

Also, what should I expect to see the first time I power up? This is the frist PC I've built so all is new.

Help is appreciated. This is a great forum!

Fretless
Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Installing True Image on a non-Internet machine?

Well, I didn't use True Image, and now before I install 7.3 I feel really guilty. I haven't loaded much onto my Quadzilla, so I'm thinking about reformatting and doing it over--the right way. I downloaded True Image, but it won't install on my Quadzilla, because it's not hooked to the Internet What should I do?

Nick
Digi 002R
Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

I have a Tyan quad........but I believe everything you asked applies to both Tyan or Asus quad.

Quote:
The PSU has 1 - PCI-express cable ans (2) VGA/H.D.D.cables I see no place to connect to on the MB. Are these just spares?
Yes. There are some cards that need power connections. None that we're using though. Roll them up andplace where ever you can neatly get them out of the way without choking airflow.

Quote:
I put 2GB of the ram in slots A1 and A2, and 2GB in slots B1 and B2. Nothing in A3 or B3. Is this the optimum setup?
yes.

Quote:
At this point I have (2) Rear Case fans that came with the Chenming CAse which was spec'd, (2) CPU fans, (1) MB fan, and (1) Video card fan. Is this sufficient? Or should I put fans in the front of the case as well?
Place them in the best configuration to get airflow through and out of the computer. They should blow and vent toward the same direction.