Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-06-2001, 01:04 PM

Default 414 and Audio Upgrades

Has anybody done the 414Buls upgrade/modification by Audio Upgrades. I have two 414s and was wondering if I should invest in getting them "improved" or going out and buying a pair of new mics (under a 1,000). Can anybody compare the sonic results with the nonmodified version? Do you think it is worth it?
Old 07-06-2001, 04:48 PM

Default Re: 414 and Audio Upgrades

I had it done about 9 years ago. I thought it helped quite a bit. Less midrange honk and more open.
Eventually I sold it and bought a used stereo pair of TLIIs and thought that was much nicer.............
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2019.5
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 07-06-2001, 06:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Beegster:
Has anybody done the 414Buls upgrade/modification by Audio Upgrades. I have two 414s and was wondering if I should invest in getting them "improved" or going out and buying a pair of new mics (under a 1,000). Can anybody compare the sonic results with the nonmodified version? Do you think it is worth it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have 4 of the 414's and upgraded 2 of them with Audio Upgrades. They are now much more useable, sweeter sounding mics, especially for the reasonable cost per mic for the upgrade. We're happy we did it.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2001, 10:20 AM

Funny timing, I just visited Jim Williams yesterday...

I own a 414B-ULS myself so am quite familiar with it. I also tracked some female vocals recently using both a Lawson L47MP and an upgraded 414. Normally, I would have thought that the 414 would have been rather wooly-sounding compared to the Lawson, but the upgraded one held it's own, although it sounded different. It was very clear - not at all like the unmodified version - which can get a little boxy and strident at times.

Jim Williams is currently upgrading a mic pre I have (Studio Technologies) by replacing all the caps with audiophile-grade caps. I'm probably going to have him do my 414 next.

He's a real audiophile purist, meaning he doesn't like "fatter, bigger, better" sounds. He likes it to sound natural and detailed. Give him a call. He'll be glad to explain what he does and what it will do to the sound (ask him about his 414 and Dwight Yokam story).

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 07-09-2001, 10:51 AM

just wondering.
The AKG C414 BULS vs. the TL11.
Is the BULS more versatile? Is the TL11 too bright for instruents like horns and female voices?
I ask this because I'm investing in mics for a small studio space. I only have 2500$ for the mics and I am wondering what mics would be more versatile.
Thank you.
My apologies if you've already come across this issue in the General Discussion area.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:06 AM

It depends on the individual voice as well as the sound you want in the track.

I don't own a TLII (I have used them in the past), but I do own both a TLM103 and a B-ULS. I can tell you they sound COMPLETELY different. The TLM is really nice on vocals, but I find it too bright for most acoustic guitar, whereas the B-ULS is really nice on acoustic guitar. Having the hi-pass filter (and multi-patterns) on the 414 is really useful for many things. The 103 has no switches on it at all - but it's got that "Neumann presence" which most people really like on their voice.

I've never tried the TLII on horns - it MAY be a bit spitty. I would suggest a ribbon mic for horns such as the Royer or even a good dynamic mic such as the 421.

The biggest difference between them is that the B-ULS has a transformer and the TLII ("TransformerLess") doesn't. That might give you an idea of their differences (as well as having non-identical capsules).

Try them both and buy the one you like the most.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 07-10-2001, 10:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andrew from Montreal:
just wondering.
The AKG C414 BULS vs. the TL11.
Is the BULS more versatile? Is the TL11 too bright for instruents like horns and female voices?
I ask this because I'm investing in mics for a small studio space. I only have 2500$ for the mics and I am wondering what mics would be more versatile.
Thank you.
My apologies if you've already come across this issue in the General Discussion area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One idea you might consider is purchasing the TLM103 for that bright vocal sound and the Neumann 193 for more of a warmer U89ish sound. You wouldn't have a pair but you would two completely different sounding mics to cover different bases. I haven't had my 414s upgraded yet, but based on the sound of the unmodified I don't think I would recommend running out and buying a pair. I have never had luck with my unmodified 414s on acoustic guitar ( I usually use bright small diaphrams like KM184s or warm 84s if there available ). But, hey, that may change when I get them modified.