Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Allen and Heath ZED 24

Hi all,

So I've been working with Pro Tools for a while now (infact it's the only DAW I'm comfortable using), and decided it's time to upgrade to something better than my current Fast Track Pro. The only thing is that I need to be able to mic a big drumset plus two more channels (and of course a few extra in case vocalists and others want to jump in). (A total of at least 14 channels.) I've been looking at the Allen and Heath Zed 24 and really like it. I think it would go well with what I do. The thing I am hesitant about is whether or not I will have problems with tracking 10 simultaneous tracks into PT10 and being able to actually mix with this interface. It would be my first mixer that I own, but I've worked on larger ones like the Digidesign C24 and similar ones. I just don't want to buy this mixer and not be able to use all of its functions.

My questions for the forum are kind of broad, but nonetheless here it is:

Is there anyone out there who already has an A&H Zed 24 and Pro Tools 10 setup?

And if so, are you able to track all of your channels separately in Pro Tools?

Also, when you automate faders in pro tools do the faders on the mixer move along with the automation? (And vise versa)

And are there any problems I should know about before I actually buy one of these mixers?

Thanks in advance! Any insight helps!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Allen and Heath ZED 24

I don't own a Zed 24, but my understanding of that mixer is it is basically just an analog mixer with a USB port. The USB as far as I know will only allow you to record a stereo mix, or presumably 2 individual channels...

I don't believe it has automated faders either...

So it is more of a mixer than an integrated mixer interface such as the Zed R-16.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Allen and Heath ZED 24

I own a Zed 14, that's similar to Zed 24. The USB connection is capable to record only 2 channels (2 Mono or 1 Stereo - 16 bits/44.1 KHz).

This is an Analog Mixer and it's purposed to be used in live situations or on a small home studio (just for monitoring). The USB connections is a plus (to record in a live situation, for instance...).

You could look for Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 or Allen Heath Zed R16, but, for these models, I don't think that they have motorized faders...

Look for Yamaha 01v96i too (motorized faders)...
Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

IMO a interface + controller is a better choice in the long run. You can upgrade one without the other, and can pack up just the interface for remote recording. That said their have been some pretty good options mentioned. Finding one that has automated faders and doesn't cost a small fortune can be tricky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk