Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-09-2002, 10:42 AM

Default Hellacious Guitar Buzz

Regardless what Guitar or Bass I use I always have to turn my back to the monitor when I track or I get a hellacious buzz. An alternate, less effective, solution has been to turn the monitor off while recording. However this time I am in a predicament; I am scoring a series of shows that Consist of several visual cues including markers in ProTools. I have read in past post that shielding my pick-ups could or would reduce the buzz. Has anyone tried this? Or do you have any other solutions? Are there mods out there for guitars that can get rid of buzzing altogether? Is there such a thing as a balanced output and would that even fix it?

Thank you

--------------------

Brian

www.mindspring.com/~tzujan/
Old 06-09-2002, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Hellacious Guitar Buzz

I use one of these:

http://www.furmansound.com/BalPwr.html
Old 06-09-2002, 03:15 PM

Flatscreen monitors help.. The dont cause Buz with single coil pick ups.

Also there are special 'low hum' pickups made just for recording....

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 06-09-2002, 03:54 PM

Thank you for the info, however I don't think this is a balanced AC power issue but low frequency radiation, magnetic field, and RF issue (I'm not sure what RF stands for but I recall reading it in other posts on the topic). I think it is the reverse of placing unshielded speakers directly next to a video/computer monitor. The magnates, in the unbalanced guitar, respond negatively to what ever the monitor is giving off. It makes sense that flat panels would help. I would need to spend some serious $$$ and I was just hoping for a more affordable option - fantasy product: a little slip cover that you place over the inside of the pickup that reduces the interference. (Wow maybe I am a burgeoning inventor!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 10:47 AM

Radio Frequency
Old 06-13-2002, 11:00 AM

If it's an RF problem related to your monitor, turning your monitor off while recording shouldn't be less effective than physically turning. Get some noiseless pickups or ditch the single coils for humbuckers.

Now, I don't know if this would work, but I believe copper will stop RF so you could always try and build a copper shield to put in front of you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But you wouldn't want to cover your guitar pickups because it would alter the sound.

Dave
Old 06-13-2002, 07:40 PM

EMG Pickups, stuff like that. Active pickups with gain!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:10 PM

Thank you for the input. I definitely have to figure something out at least on my more frequently used guitars. I know the EMGs and others make "vintage' pickups, do they drastically effect the character? I love the sound of my Danelectro baritone and would hate for it to change, except for the buzz. As far as my SG goes - it could use a new sound!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:55 PM

I know where you are coming from with the tone thing,most of the great sounding guitars of the day can't be near a monitor.I have been using a strat with there new noiseless pickups in it and it is dead silent but it is in no way classic strat tone you really have to work it.Sit in front of a monitor with a 54 paul with p90's in it and your hair will stand up!!
Old 06-14-2002, 01:55 AM

One great thing about EMG pickups is absence of buzz, but also absence of microphonic effect.
When tracking in the control room with your monitors cranked up this will avoid ending up with some distorted vocal creeping into the guitar track...