Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Guitar cord/pickup buzz

How do most engineers treat the range of buzz from an electric guitar?

FIRST ANSWER I KNOW: Don't generate or record it in the first place!!!!!!!

Back to reality: The hum and buzz starts around 60 hz and it's harmonics are still present throughout all octaves up and at 8 or 9 khz.

Any suggestions?

regards
Old 07-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Guitar cord/pickup buzz

Maybe with some more info, we could get more specific but here are some general observations. If you are recording with the player near your computer setup, CRT monitors generate a lot of "hash" that guitars will pick up(LCD monitors are not nearly as bad) so move him away from the computer setup. I will assume you are mic'ing a speaker and not running direct(DI, POD etc.). Humbucking pickups will help. For strats, stacked humbuckers are available that fit without mods and can keep most of the single-coil sound. Sheilding the insides of the guitar with copper foil or conductive paint(and grounding this with a wire to a ground connection also helps. Have the player turn left and right to see if there is an orientation that minimizes the noise.(in my room, it is facing the side wall-makes a dramatic improvement). If the amp has a ground switch like most old Fenders, try it in every position(later models have 3 positions). Plug the amp into Furman's new conditioner made for guitar amps. Maybe get a 10-15AMP balanced power unit from Equi-Tech or similar. Radial has some boxes with transformers that can help. At my church, every guitarist(including me) has a noise/buzz problem except 1 guy(with a stock strat!!) His rig is dead quiet and he's the only one to use a Radial switcher on his pedal board. There's a start for you anyway. Good luck.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-17-2005, 06:07 PM

thx for the tips.

single coil pickups. Seems to be a grounding issue as buzz goes to almost nothing when touching strings. Happens thru M box direct instrument input as well as via amp. Going to sweat solder connections on hookup cable just in case.
gotta wonder why manufacturers don't shield the gut case better. Why do we have to do all this like we're lining a barbeque after the fact? Can't make the cost that much more.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM

also make sure that the guitar amp/effect processors, etc, are all plugged into the same electrical circuit as your PT/Mixer setup....if it's on a different wall that's on a different circuit, you could have a slight difference in ground reference level that would create the classic ground loop buzz

definitely double-coil pickups have far less noise....also, make sure you have no A/C, fans, or lighting that is causing buzz on while tracking

these are starting points to ensure clean signal....some single coil guitars are just noisy period.....hope this helps
Digi 002 Mixer
PT 10.3.4 + PT 10 HD

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.8.2
6 GB RAM
Mbox 2 Pro
PT 10.3.4 + CPTK