Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 and High Sierra

I have PT 11.3.1 running fine on El Capitan. I only use Pro Tools occasionally and at this point, mainly to open an existing project for editing. Not mixing or using any third party plug ins. Because of my occasional use, I don't wish to pay the annual fee for 12, so I want to know if anyone has experience with attempting to run PT 11 on High Sierra for what I want to do.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and High Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonguy View Post
I have PT 11.3.1 running fine on El Capitan. I only use Pro Tools occasionally and at this point, mainly to open an existing project for editing. Not mixing or using any third party plug ins. Because of my occasional use, I don't wish to pay the annual fee for 12, so I want to know if anyone has experience with attempting to run PT 11 on High Sierra for what I want to do.
Not compatible and won't ever be fixed to do so. That you have it running 'fine' in El Crapitan is an anomaly as EC support wasn't added until PT 12.3.

Question becomes why do you want to go to HS? If your system is working for you then there should be no need to change. Then again EC was/is one of the worst OSX releases ever.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM

The reason is because Pro Tools is on my main computer which I use for all manner of things. Currently, I can't update Final Cut Pro to the latest version without upgrading OSX. I'm not a sound engineer, I am a filmmaker who uses Pro Tools along with many other apps in my work, so it's not ideal to stay stuck on an old OS.

I have to say, it is really annoying the way Pro Tools routinely will not work with an OS upgrade unless one pays for an update of Pro Tools, but I know I am not the first person to say that. PT 11 has all the functionality I need, but it will be dead to me if I upgrade the OS and on top of that, I now have to buy an annual subscription for my very occasional use of Pro Tools. Boo.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The reason is because Pro Tools is on my main computer which I use for all manner of things. Currently, I can't update Final Cut Pro to the latest version without upgrading OSX. I'm not a sound engineer, I am a filmmaker who uses Pro Tools along with many other apps in my work, so it's not ideal to stay stuck on an old OS.

I have to say, it is really annoying the way Pro Tools routinely will not work with an OS upgrade unless one pays for an update of Pro Tools, but I know I am not the first person to say that. PT 11 has all the functionality I need, but it will be dead to me if I upgrade the OS and on top of that, I now have to buy an annual subscription for my very occasional use of Pro Tools. Boo.
How big is your system drive? Your profile only says you have an iMac. If the drive is big enough size-wise (and NOT a Fusion drive) partition the drive so you can have two different boot partitions. I did that on the iMac I used to use for PT and actually had three partitions: OSX 10.8.5, OSX 10.9.5 and OSX 10.10.5 It was a 2 TB 7200 rpm spinner.

And if the drive is not big enough it's relatively easy to split the case open and change out the drive for something bigger. Take a look at OWC for ideas and videos on how to do that.

You don't have to but an any kind of subscription for PT12. You can pay a one-time reentry fee (IIRC it's $299 US) which will get you PT12 and all updates for one year. Not sure if it still exists but the license combo used to be for PT10/11/12 or at least PT11/12.

Back to El Crapitan - there's a reason it has that nickname - you have but to search here for people that have issues with it. I would do what I could to get EC off that machine, backtrack to OSX 10.9.5 for PT and go to High Sierra for FCPX.

Yeah it sucks what Avid did to us PT11 users; you just have to improvise/over come/adapt. Or move to another daw; my alternate is Digital Performer. DP works infinitely better with video that PT does. 30 day fully functioning free trial and no iLok needed. And no artificial limits like between PT vanilla and PTHD.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

These are really great tips, MusicMan. Thank you. I do have a Fusion drive iMac, but I would imagine I can install the older OS on an external drive and then boot to that for PT work. Alternatively, Digital Performer sure looks a lot like Pro Tools! Would I be able to import a Pro Tools session to DP? EDIT: I see I can do that by exporting an OMF, so that would be good. Have you tried Reaper? Pretty good price for that one.

Last edited by Cartoonguy; 01-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
These are really great tips, MusicMan. Thank you. I do have a Fusion drive iMac, but I would imagine I can install the older OS on an external drive and then boot to that for PT work. Alternatively, Digital Performer sure looks a lot like Pro Tools! Would I be able to import a Pro Tools session to DP? EDIT: I see I can do that by exporting an OMF, so that would be good. Have you tried Reaper? Pretty good price for that one.
Not tried Reaper and have no need to.

You do NOT want to install the older OSX on an external drive to boot from that and work in PT. Amongst other things the extremely slow speed will drive you crazy. You still haven't said what exact iMac you have and what's in it. If you give that kind of info I can help better. There's no such thing as TMI (too much info) when asking for help here.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Ah, sorry. It's a 2013 iMac, 3.5 GHz i7 with 32 gb ram. I find it pretty snappy still and I am often running multiple apps at once.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Ah, sorry. It's a 2013 iMac, 3.5 GHz i7 with 32 gb ram. I find it pretty snappy still and I am often running multiple apps at once.
Not quite enough info - what system drive do you have? If the spinner then go ahead and partition the drive and put High Sierra on it so you can work in FCPX.

QAPLA!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM

Oh, I thought I said before I had a Fusion drive. Anyway, that's what I have. 3TB Fusion.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM

He mentions above he (unfortunately) has a Fusion drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk