Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Default Mute automation

If there is anyone who can give me a tip or a link on this I would appreciate it.
I realize its fairly simple.

All I want to do is hit the mute on a individual snare track occasionally to change up the sound. Id rather not use the faders.

I believe all I have to do is hit the write mode on the automation and then hit play.(not record?)
Every time I hit mute that automation should be recorded. Is this right.

I would prefer to do it on the mixer page.

Any help would be much appreciated. Best wishes.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Mute automation

Is mute enabled in the Automation window? I've worked in either Touch or Latch mode for so long that I don't remember if switched controls (like mute) are written when in Write.

Personally, I hate mute automation. I feel like I'm fighting it after it's written. I usually separate the region(s) I want muted, and do it on a region-by-region basis with Command-M.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Pt lover, when you say seperate the regions do you mean inserting silence in various spot to create the new regions?

The snare track is just one continuos track from start to finish. So obviously I will have to create regions.

I guess I could also copy the track and perform the mute on the copy, so that the original is left intact.

I realize there is more than one way to perform the mute.
I guess I am just looking for sugestions on what others consider the best way to go about it.

I'm just looking to mute the snare in the turn arounds and bridge to mix up the sound because the drum track gets really repetitive after a while.
But by muting the snare in certain parts at least it kills the repetitiveness somewhat.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM

I mean the mute/unmute region command under the Region menu. Muted regions grey out in the edit window.

I would highlight/select the snare hit, separate it hitting B (with Commands Keyboard Focus enabled), and then hit Command-M (Mac) to mute the region.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 AM

If you make a duplicate playlist of the snare track, you can always switch back to the unedited copy instantly if nec. On the dup, select the audio you want muted, separate into a new region, and mute it.

If you're muting a bunch of individual hits, try these steps:
1. Use the Separate Region/At Transients command to automatically make each snare a separate region.
2. Using the Object Grabber tool, shift-select each snare you want to mute.
3. Command-M (Mac) or Control-M (Win) to mute them all at once.

I know it's nice to select the snares to be muted by feel as the song is playing. You could use markers to locate them, then do the steps above at each marked snare.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgirr View Post
If there is anyone who can give me a tip or a link on this I would appreciate it.
I realize its fairly simple.

All I want to do is hit the mute on a individual snare track occasionally to change up the sound. Id rather not use the faders.

I believe all I have to do is hit the write mode on the automation and then hit play.(not record?)
Every time I hit mute that automation should be recorded. Is this right.

I would prefer to do it on the mixer page.

Any help would be much appreciated. Best wishes.
As PT lover explained, it is sometimes easier to slice the snare and then Cmd+m it so it is muted...

But if you want to use mute automation, as PT lover said, go into the Automation window (cmd+4 [On the NumPad]). In this window you can select WHAT parameters you want to record automation on and which ones you don't. If you are only doing mute automation, I suggest you turn off everything except for MUTE. If you use the WRITE automation setting on a track, it will continuously write the values of any automation parameter that is enabled. So, if you are doing mutes, but volume is turned on in the automation window, you will also unknowingly be writing volume automation. Then later if you try to pull the volume up/down you'll watch it snap back because of the automation levels written when you were doing mutes.

So, turn off all automatable parameters EXCEPT for mute, then you can use write and it won't mess you up later on. Otherwise, LATCH mode is very useful, because it only starts writing a parameter's automation once you move that parameter. Any other parameters you don't touch won't have any automation written for them.

Most people use Latch for this reason. You can leave EVERYTHING automation enabled, and then in latch just move the things you want to automate and those moves get written while everything else that you haven't touched is uneffected.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Daeron 80, Any tips on making that duplicate playlist.

I realize most of these are noob questions but my experience with editing in the box in very limited.
I'm used to outputting to my board and mixing with the board faders while recording mixes in real time. I've grown very tired of that.

Like a lot of guys I feel I have to move toward working in the box from start to finish. Old habits die hard for us cavemen.

My best bet is obviously to find a good book or video series on editing in PT. Any suggestions on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

From the reference guide (aka manual):

To duplicate a track’s current playlist:

Click the track’s Playlist selector and choose Duplicate from the pop-up menu.

2 Enter a name for the new playlist and click OK.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Also, just for the record, automating Mutes is absurdly easy. Click the show type in the edit window to choose between waveform, or volume, and pick MUTE. Then take the finger tool, and you only have 2 choices here, draw in wether you want muted or unmuted. Do it in slip mode and save yourself the WTF minute.

Lolz.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM

PT Lover answered it for me - thanks! I remember the first time somebody showed me that feature back in the 4.x days, I think it was. Or 5.x? Can't remember. Anyway, what a revelation! I've felt like a kid with a new toy ever since!

As to mixing in the box start to finish - eh - whatever works for you. I say use both tools to their strengths. If you have a board that does really good analog summing, it can do some lovely things for the sound that digital mixers can only vaguely emulate, I don't care what plug-ins are used.

The repeatability of automation is nice but once you start messing around with fudging automation breakpoints with your mouse and such, things can quickly start to lose musicality. If your board is one of those lovely old all-discrete, high-voltage babies, I would be very reluctant to entirely give up sending out to it, if I were you.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB