Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Ripping vs real time quality

Wow, this topic has been coming up a lot lately - what's the deal?

There shouldn't be any noticable difference when you rip a track from a CD if you're using a good drive. I have noticed some pops and clicks from my internal DVD-RAM drive, but have never had any problems with my external firewire 40x read CD Burner. Plus, you save a heck of a lot of time over bringing in the song in real time (if you do it as often as i do), and, if your external S/PDIF drive doesn't have a stable clock, you could actually lose some quality that way.

Just my opinion, but I've never encountered any problems ripping audio off of CDs.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Thanks Slim,
I can't say that I've noticed any degradation either, no pops clicks etc; I suppose what I was asking was whether the process itself adds or subtracts in any way, such that noise, or artefacts may accumulate over time, through repeated transfers. I have seen on this forum that even bouncing to disc can degrade the sound quality a bit; I personally can never hear any difference.....
Cheers
Old 03-18-2002, 02:38 PM

I would tend to think that ripping with "Audio Extractor" is better quality since there can't be any sync problems, no jitter, nothing...

6am eternal
Old 03-18-2002, 02:43 PM

Thanks Kickin',
That's a very good point........quality might even be improved!
Cheers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 03:04 PM

IF you get any pops/clicks.....try extracting at a lower speed....i am on a pc and i have to switch down....

Bastiaan
Old 03-18-2002, 03:23 PM

In my experience ripping from my Yamaha CD writer is a lot faster and less prone to gitches than ripping from the internal CD Rom on my beige G3.

My HiFi has an SP/DIF connector too so I could rip that way if it really was a problem. The only CDs that seem to cause problems ripping are the Mixed Mode Cds with a data partition on the last track, you need to use an MP3 encoder to to rip the tracks (as .AIFF not MP3 obviously) rather than just selecting them as files the way you would with a normal CD.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:49 PM

its a file. You are just extracting a file. The real time method is one I intend to never investigate.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> its a file. You are just extracting a file. The real time method is one I intend to never investigate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's exactly why it's easier to just extract the file using audio extractor, than to rerecord a synched up spdif stream of 0 and 1!!!!

6am eternal
Old 03-19-2002, 12:32 AM

Default Ripping vs real time quality

Does anybody know whether the quality of audio suffers when a track is ripped, say using Toast Extractor to convert a track from a CD to an SD11 file, as compared with running it in real time via SPdif?
Thanks
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2002, 01:09 AM

Yeah Kikn, thats right.