Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM

Default Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

I'm getting to intermediate territory in Pro Tools, and can easily automate a delay for the last word of a line. How would I map a key or make this process easier considering it would take me hours to do this for every word. I only have hands on my current regular computer keyboard, thus a MIDI keyboard would have to be virtually mapped, and online there are no set 'instructions' for what programs to use for this.

TLR
What is the best way I can automate a delay for a last word in a line of lyrics without having to drag the decibel line at custom and doing it based on the tempo.

Any help is appreciated, I have been looking for a while but this is quite time sensitive thus if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful. Also if anybody needs clarification I can do that.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

Create an audio track directly below the vocal, put a delay on the insert set to 100% wet.
Go through the vocal and select/highlight each word you want the delay on, hit control + c to copy, hit : to move down to the track below then ctrl+v to paste. It's also good to eq the delay track a bit after the delay insert to put it in it's own place frequency wise. You can set the delay tempo to slave to BPM, but it's often good work out the timings for say 8th or quarter notes and set it just off that, gives it a bit of a groove, go for the closest prime number..

Last edited by Led; 08-31-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

To me it sounds like you're looking for a "dynamic delay", a.k.a. delay that ducks itself out of the way when the vocal line is active.

Plenty of techniques available if you just search, most of them introduce you to a concept of "sidechaining".
Old 08-31-2019, 04:08 AM

Oh, and welcome to the community!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacMenton View Post
How would I map a key / I only have hands on my current regular computer keyboard, thus a MIDI keyboard would have to be virtually mapped, and online there are no set 'instructions' for what programs to use for this.

Not gonna happen. You can't automate plugin parameters with MIDI in pro tools, at least not Pro Tools Software without a Eucon interface.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 AM

I just put the track on TOUCH and activate the send at the end of the words, you can automate the whole song in one pass. The idea of doubling the track with a 100% wet delay is another solution and the dynamic delay is even faster:
https://youtu.be/OTYdnBaEKSE
Old 08-31-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Delaying the Last Word Without Mapping Every Single Word on Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Not gonna happen. You can't automate plugin parameters with MIDI in pro tools, at least not Pro Tools Software without a Eucon interface.

That’s not entirely accurate.

You can definitely automate plugins via MIDI, but it’s up to the developer to implement the functionality. I have many plugjns that I can automate via MIDI. I also have many that I can’t, such as all the included PT plugins.

Having said that, you have to have a MIDI track active as well routed to control the plugin. It’s not as seamless as when using an instrument track, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 08-31-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM

What about using AudioSuite and rendering the delay on just the words you want?

Other than that, a ducking delay as mentioned would work great for this. The bx_delay 2500 has ducking built-in.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-01-2019, 01:45 PM

I guess my first try would be to insert a gate after the delay and side chain the vocal track to it
Old 09-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh, and welcome to the community!
Thank you! And thanks for your help! I've played around with that and that does indeed sound close to what I need.