Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-27-2020, 11:00 AM

Default PTHD9 & Loop Sync

Hi folks - hope you are all well in these crazy, crazy times.

PT9 HD3 System - 3 x 192 I/O Interfaces.

I have my 3 x 192 I/O interfaces all correctly connected via Loop Sync, and all works well in either a 44.1k or 48k session, front panel lamps all good and stable.

When I try and run a 96k session, however, the first interface is A-OK, but the outputs on interfaces 2 & 3 randomly meter signals, like they are unclocked. Very weird indeed. All cables are good. All seems fine with setup (as it works with lower sample rate sessions). Now I may be missing something COMPLETELY obvious (more than likely ) but can anyone please shed any light?

They were clocked previously with an Apogee Big Ben, but I have taken that back to my home studio, hence the issue.

Thanks in advance folks!

AJ.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Re: PTHD9 & Loop Sync

Have you operated this rig before at 96khz?

Any other problems besides front panel meters?

When you removed the Big Ben you closed the sync loop with a BNC cable?

You should play with making each interface in the loop the clock master and seeing if that shows you how far around the loop a sync signal works... hopefully you get that to show you a bad BNC cable link or bad interface box... either not passing loop sync reliably, or not generating the loop clock reliably. If you suspect a bad cable swap/replace it, if a bad interface disconnect/remove it.

How are the interface Digilink cables connected/chained ? I would not ignore the possibility that it is a Digilink connection having problems. swap cables, and the ordering of digilink chaining leave the loop sync as is... does the problem follow the digilink cables or the boxes? Remember the Digilink cable chaining between boxes should be a short cable. Even if this worked before you may have bumped a cable, removed cables to access stuff etc. *Always* suspect cables, just because it worked before is not a guarantee, do swap cable tests now.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-27-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Re: PTHD9 & Loop Sync

In addition to Darryl's excellent advice, your post seems a bit light on details, so I must ask, are there any other devices connecting to any 192 via a digital connection(just trying to rule out conflicting digital clocking for other sources)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave