Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Default iMac or Mac Pro?

I'm looking to replace my G5 Power PC tower. I know a Mac Pro 2.66HHz Quad with expanded memory will do just fine. But with my set up should I be considering a 27inch 2.66GHz Quad iMac?

Here's my set up.

*PT8 Digi 002 rack
*Apogee Rosetta AD spdif into the 002
*2 LaCie External Hard Drives. One for PT Sessions the other is a Sound Library.
*Also running Reason, Record, BFD, Addictive Drums, and a few other VI programs

I know I'll have the get a Firewire 400/800 converter with either machine and a Firewire Port Hub on the iMac because of the 002.

What are the benefits and drawbacks with each?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Re: iMac or Mac Pro?

Firewire hubs are not supported or recommended by Digi, and since the iMac only has one FW port, you will be having lots of traffic issues, especially with your VIs.

I'd go with the MacPro and add an additional FW card which will keep your 002 on one buss and your drives on another buss.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Actually---that iMac will be just fine. There is an incredible amount of bandwidth via FW400. I do a lot of video, that's where you really push the FW bus---but for VI's, that's nothing really. HOWEVER where there is an advantage of a tower is the use of SATA hard-drives has a faster thruput and is more desireable for larger, more intense systems.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM

I do get into some pretty thick sessions so an SATA Drive is a great option to have. I don't score to film much but I do get a call every now and then. So the Mac Pro makes sense there. The 27' monitor (I have two old school monitors running now), the built in wireless, and the wireless keyboard/mouse are great features. But it seems like I might be getting into a risky situation with the iMac. That being said, I have a Firewire question. I understand that adding a Firewire card is optimal but I'm thinking I may try a 400/800 cable and upgrade to a card if it's just too glitchy. I know this will knock that port down to 400. Will it effect any of the other 3 800 ports?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 PM

If you do go with a mac pro, you might want to wait a few more weeks. There's a good chance new mac pros will be coming out soon.

They generally update them once a year, the last time being last March. But there's some indications they may be updated sooner than March of this year. There's a big Apple event at the end of January.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Firewire hubs are not supported or recommended by Digi, and since the iMac only has one FW port, you will be having lots of traffic issues, especially with your VIs.

I'd go with the MacPro and add an additional FW card which will keep your 002 on one buss and your drives on another buss.
If he is using a mini he would have a display. My Apple Cinema Display has firewire ports. That's not considered a "hub" is it? It has worked fine for me before.