Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Default System plays at 96k, doesn't at 48k or 44.1

Hi all, I could use your help. When I open or create a new session at 96k, it opens and works as expected. However, sessions opened or created at 48k or 44.1 open and look fine but will not play audio. When I press Start, it stalls for a moment (lower left on Edit window displays "pause" briefly) and then just stops without playing. The green play button blinks briefly but then goes off. There is no error message given.

I've tried re-installing the app and the HD Driver. I don't see an Avid folder in the Library/Preferences folder, so I'm unable to delete those.

I'm running a Mac Pro (mid 2010) running MacOS 10.12.2
PT Ultimate 2019.6.0
System includes an installed UAD Octo PCIe card (software is up to date)

Thank you for whatever you can tell me.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Re: System plays at 96k, doesn't at 48k or 44.1

So what's your setup in more detail? You don't need HD driver if you don't use HDX or HDN
Old 10-25-2019, 03:49 PM

It's an HDX system with a SyncHD, and 3 HD IOs.

Mac Pro is a quad core running at 2.2GH with 12 GB RAM installed, and there are two internal SATA drives for session data.

Have you seen this issue before?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Merchant View Post
I've seen it. The times I have it wasn't related to SR though. In those cases, trashing PT Prefs, zapping the NVRAM, and a full restart typically gets things moving again. I'm not so sure that that's going to fix your issue, however.

This will seem silly, but are you certain that your Playback Engine hasn't somehow shifted to the wrong device, perhaps only when trying to play 48/44K sessions? It's a long shot, but I've seen similar start/stop behavior when the engine was set to a non-Avid external device.

And I've seen this when my cat sat on the keyboard and somehow put PT into an odd mode I didn't recognize. Hit play and it blinks then stops. I quit without saving, reopened, and it seemed to be back to normal. So, maybe you have PT in a similar mode where it's waiting for an external trigger/sync/clock/etc.? I'm throwing more darts here.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:40 PM

One of your darts was right on target - thank you, Eric!

In the 48k test session that wasn't working, I changed the playback engine from HDX to Built-in Output and everything worked properly. When I switched back to HDX, it and all other sessions now play without issue.

I'm not sure how this corrected it, but it may be that when I opened one of my client's sessions, they were using a different engine and PT needed an update/reset to work. It's bizarre (at least to me) that it was only a problem for sessions at 48k and not 96k.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:38 AM

I am having a similar but the inverse issue.

Sessions at 96Khz only playback random regions. When the regions play the meters on that channels don't work, then vice versa. At 48Khz Everything is fine.

I have had various support calls re this and it has now been handed over to Avid engineering as they suspect it is a bug. PT2019.6, OS 10.14.6.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
One of your darts was right on target - thank you, Eric!

In the 48k test session that wasn't working, I changed the playback engine from HDX to Built-in Output and everything worked properly. When I switched back to HDX, it and all other sessions now play without issue.

I'm not sure how this corrected it, but it may be that when I opened one of my client's sessions, they were using a different engine and PT needed an update/reset to work. It's bizarre (at least to me) that it was only a problem for sessions at 48k and not 96k.
Glad it worked out. The playback engine your client used shouldn't have forced itself onto your rig, but who knows. Strange things happen. And I suspect that PT was seeing your built-in sample rate at 96, but when you wanted to roll a session at a lower/different rate it balked and stopped. I keep my computer's internal sample rate at 48 -- same as PT -- so I never would have experienced a SR discrepancy like that and don't know how it would react.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Webster View Post
I am having a similar but the inverse issue.

Sessions at 96Khz only playback random regions. When the regions play the meters on that channels don't work, then vice versa. At 48Khz Everything is fine.

I have had various support calls re this and it has now been handed over to Avid engineering as they suspect it is a bug. PT2019.6, OS 10.14.6.
But playback continues through those silent regions? It never stops?
Old 10-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
It's an HDX system with a SyncHD, and 3 HD IOs.

Mac Pro is a quad core running at 2.2GH with 12 GB RAM installed, and there are two internal SATA drives for session data.

Have you checked the compatibility chart to see if your OS is good for your version of PT? I understand the HDX card does lots of processing, but your computer specs are really lite for a pro audio machine these days

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
But playback continues through those silent regions? It never stops?
Hi Eric, See this thread. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406844

Playback continues.
Although when i loop the selection, the inverse audio plays on every loop.