Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Mbox Pro buffer underflow (-6085)

Have already reset the clock to S/PDIF and back to Internal on both Pro Tools 9 and Mbox interface with no luck ... also disconnected/reconnected firewire and rebooted. Paid justanswer $28 yesterday and so far no response except them wanting another $38 to get on my computer remotely, which I'm not going to do! ... any thoughts and preferably a fix?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro buffer underflow (-6085)

OK, the specifics for my setup: Pro Tools 9.0.6, Mbox Pro and Windows 7.

Finally found the answer in Pro Tools help.

Not Hearing Input or Output

If you are unable to get input into or hear output from Pro Tools, the following troubleshooting steps may fix the problem.
Default I/O Setup:

Open a Pro Tools session.
Click on the Setup menu.
Click on I/O.
By default, you'll be on the Output tab. Click on the Default button towards the bottom left corner.
Click on the Input tab and then the Default button again.
Click on the Bus tab and then the Default button once again.
Click OK to save these changes.
The input and output paths for your audio interface should now be set to the default settings for your audio interface.
Double-check your input and output settings in the Mix window of Pro Tools to make sure that they're now set correctly, and test again.

Create New Session With Stereo Mix I/O Settings:

Launch Pro Tools.
From the Quick Start menu, choose 'Create Blank Session'.
Click on the '>>' button next to 'Session Parameters'.
Under 'I/O Settings' choose the 'Stereo Mix' option.
Click OK.
The session will now be created with the default input/output settings for your audio interface. Do a test recording or import some audio and see if your issue persists.

If you want, you can rename the I/O paths to how you had them set before as long as everything is working OK. In the I/O Setup, just double-click the name of the path that you want to rename, type in the new path name, and then hit Enter.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro buffer underflow (-6085)

One more thing for Windows users; Set Windows>Sound>Properties to use the on-board sound card as it's "default playback" device(leaving the interface for Pro Tools use, only).

Re the IO setup, it is well worth some time getting to know how/why certain things work(and certain things sometimes don't). Customizing to suit your needs can really streamline your workflow In my case, since I have 30 channels of outboard preamps, I found it best to name my inputs according to the preamp that feeds each(as in Midas 1, Midas 2, ISA 1, Vitech 2, etc). Then I also named the output side(Main Out, Phones Voc, Phones Bass, Phones Gtr, etc). With an Mbox, things are easy to keep track of, but as your setup grows, don't be afraid to "grow" with it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave