Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2002, 10:50 AM

Default G4 733 long Boot Time

hello all again,

G4 733, 684 meg all else stock
Mix+ PT 5.1

my systems was been workin great, about 2 weeks ago, i noticed a 1 to 2 min delay for my Control Panel Bar to come up.. i cant do any activity on the desktop until the CP Bar is up... i have not added or chaged any programs to my system .. Except PT session files...

can someone give me a heads up on whats going on ...

Thanx
Adam
StudioOne Recording
Old 03-02-2002, 01:13 PM

Default Re: G4 733 long Boot Time

This happened to me when I first installed PT Mix3 5.1.1 on my(at that time) new 867Mhz G4.

Boot up was very fast before installing, 3 Mix cards and ATTO card. After the install, the boot up time was slower then death.

I then reinstalled OS 9.2.2(original OS had both OS9.2.2 and OS X on the drive). This seems to have taken care to the boot up time to some degree although I still think it should be quicker. Now I get the grey screen for a while and then the desktop loads then finally the Control Strip, which now loads after a few seconds(before it took about 30 sec. to 1 min.).

Anyone else have suggestions to what may be causing the overall slow down?
Old 03-02-2002, 01:53 PM

I always disable the Appleshare ext if not needed and I Option open the Memory control panel and turn off Memory check on boot up, with todays big memory systems memory check adds a lot of time to every boot & reboot .... But this might not be your problem,...
Old 03-02-2002, 04:02 PM

AppleShare is certainly a potential problem.

If you're using an iMate USB to ADB adapter, the iMate software can really slow the boot-up process down as it does its time consuming checking.

Also, do you have the start-up menory test disabled? This would help speed things up.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-03-2002, 08:57 AM

In case you don't remember how to uncheck memory test at boothup, hold option command while selecting Memory Control Panel, and at the bottom will appear only for this time an option to uncheck memory test at the boothup.

So just uncheck it and the next time you'll booth your computer, mem. check will be bypassed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2002, 11:50 AM

A couple of things I have found that can cause this..is any type of "sharing" file sharing/users and groups..etc..on.

When the machine boots..it starts looking for nodes on the network..etc..and trys to make connections.

A bad crash..or..zapping pram..can sometimes reset these settings from OFF to ON. If you have any network setting on...or have used a cross over cable..etc..to hook your mac to a network to transfer files..etc..check and make sure none of these settings are active.

Also, the startup disk control panel setting occasionally gets unselected.

This also can cause a "search" function at startup that can cause about a 10 second or more delay.

Go to your startup disk control panel and make sure that your boot disk is selected (highlighted).

The memory test disable saves a couple of seconds on startup..but would not account for the delays you are seeing.

Sounds like your machine is searching for a network to me.

dcornutt
Old 03-03-2002, 02:45 PM

The joliet volume acces extensions do heavy havoc on certain (not all) of my machines during startup.. TheToast cd-reader extension seems pretty picky at startup on some machines as well..

Huby