Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 AM

Default Re: All Waves comps on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What is Brusri? Google turns up nothing related to audio that I can see.
Sorry, my mistake:
https://klevgrand.se/products/brusfri/

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I made what might be the most useless video in the world but I think you might be right (by looking at the waveforms) even though I'm unable to hear the difference with 6 or 7 repetitions. Either way, I had fun editing. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/1_PTOTkwh5A
Honestly I believe any subtle difference is totally masked with the noise source signal. Some sine or other but still simple waveform could probably reveal it better.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
Honestly I believe any subtle difference is totally masked with the noise source signal. Some sine or other but still simple waveform could probably reveal it better.
I agree, I just used pink because I wanted to affect the whole spectrum but in the end I don't think the analog emulations if they really exist will do any difference in the way I use H-Delay, the filters are way more effective and always give me what I want, especially Link.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I agree, I just used pink because I wanted to affect the whole spectrum but in the end I don't think the analog emulations if they really exist will do any difference in the way I use H-Delay, the filters are way more effective and always give me what I want, especially Link.
Put H-Delay in an infinite repeating cycle, keep the filters wide open and Lo-Fi off...

Listen as the signal degrades over time with Analog 3 or 4 switched on. You will notice that they sound very are tape-like. Analog 1 & 2 are something else altogether, I think early digital.

If H-Delay was a digital delay there would be no degradation the signal. If I remember correctly, this is actually the behaviour with Analog set to Off.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Put H-Delay in an infinite repeating cycle, keep the filters wide open and Lo-Fi off...

Listen as the signal degrades over time with Analog 3 or 4 switched on. You will notice that they sound very are tape-like. Analog 1 & 2 are something else altogether, I think early digital.

If H-Delay was a digital delay there would be no degradation the signal. If I remember correctly, this is actually the behaviour with Analog set to Off.
Makes sense, if the noise if fed to the delay circuit with infinite feedback it can cause degradation but I don't know where exactly in the chain it is located. Lo-Fi is what reduces the sample rate of the repetitions.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Makes sense, if the noise if fed to the delay circuit with infinite feedback it can cause degradation but I don't know where exactly in the chain it is located. Lo-Fi is what reduces the sample rate of the repetitions.
It’s a different type of degradation in that case. Noise levels go up rather quickly as delay quality very slowly declines. Tape degradation has a different tonality and quality about it. Tape tends to go crunchy relatively quickly compared, the noise isn’t even an issue in this instance either

Besides the function of H-Delay’s and H-Comp’s Analog switch is something I read or saw somewhere, possibly on Waves’ own site. I just can’t seem to find it again. Really, though, it makes no sense to model 4 different types of Noise when most people don’t want 1. People are just caught up on it being only because that’s what the Analog feature does in other plugins. They just assume it’s the same thing here without using their ears... rather ironically.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
It’s a different type of degradation in that case. Noise levels go up rather quickly as delay quality very slowly declines. Tape degradation has a different tonality and quality about it. Tape tends to go crunchy relatively quickly compared, the noise isn’t even an issue in this instance either

Besides the function of H-Delay’s and H-Comp’s Analog switch is something I read or saw somewhere, possibly on Waves’ own site. I just can’t seem to find it again. Really, though, it makes no sense to model 4 different types of Noise when most people don’t want 1. People are just caught up on it being only because that’s what the Analog feature does in other plugins. They just assume it’s the same thing here without using their ears... rather ironically.
Thanks, that's encouragement for another set of tests. I've only used H-Delay for infinite feedback a few times and never cared to change the analog.

Back to the thread, ANALOG only adds noise in the compressors.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that's encouragement for another set of tests. I've only used H-Delay for infinite feedback a few times and never cared to change the analog.

Back to the thread, ANALOG only adds noise in the compressors.
You’re absolutely right. Analog only adds a 60 cycle hum in the compressors, nothing else. This has been confirmed by Waves support I haven’t read the rest off the thread if that has already been mentioned.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:56 AM

Well all except H-Comp, which I mentioned earlier as it controls emulations there too. Also the API’s harmonics is tied into the Analog switch, as well as the Noise and Hum. You can test that through an analyser, but, since it’s a modern compressor, it’s harmonics are quite low, around -100dBFS.

Philosophically speaking, the whole idea of the Noise and the Hum that Waves insists on modelling is they also believe it’s part of the magic of a convincing emulation. Of course not everybody is sold on it. They’re not the only ones, though, Lindell and Brainworx also do noise, possibly others, so they must at least be somewhat convinced themselves. There are a few world class engineers who’ll also like it, Greg Wells included, while others find it as annoying as the others out there.

Personally, like Greg Wells, I don’t mind a bit of noise, I think it helps introduce some subtle intermodulation which helps to create a more cohesive sound, as long as you don’t overdo it.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:23 AM

My favourite records were made with analog gear so I don't mind noise. Like the old engineers if you keep your levels consistent it doesn't become a problem.
Although I usually turn it off some plugins can't get rid of it, Soundtoys Microshift for example.