Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2018, 08:44 AM

Default Cannot get PT12 to read Orion 32 input/output

So I have been using my Orion 32 with Cubase 6 for a good year and a half without issue on a pretty burly Windows system a friend put together. I thought it might be time to switch platforms, so I bought a used PT12 license from someone to give it a sort of test run and get my feet wet a little. It seems to install without issue.

When I open it, I get an error window about having to change my ASIO settings as there are no inputs/outputs available or something like that. I open what I hope I am remembering correctly as a hardware window/menu. I click the ASIO setup button and it currently shows the Orion 32 enabled for input and output. However, whenever I touch anything in there, I get an error message and it crashes.

Have I overlooked installing something? Any ideas? Pretty stumped.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Cannot get PT12 to read Orion 32 input/output

error message i'm actually getting is this: "Impossible to record audio because Audio Input is not active. Open the ASIO DirectX Sound Full Duplex Setup Dialog. Make sure that a device is selected in the Input Ports section and that it's check box is activated."

i've tried trashing preferences, no luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Not sure but here would be my course of troubleshooting:
1-Open Windows Sound Properties and make sure that Windows is NOT using the Orion as its "Default Playback Device"(set that to the computer's own sound, probably Realtek).
2-Check Antelope's website to see if you have the latest driver for your version of Windows(you didn't mention if its Win 7 or Win 10).
3-If its still not working, I would probably uninstall Pro Tools(and the HD Driver if that option is available). Then re-install PT(and remember to right-click on the installer/Setup icon and choose Run as Admin(do this for ALL installs on Windows 7/8/10).
4-After the re-install, right-click on the Pro Tools icon, select Properties>Compatibility and check the box for Always Run as Admin.
5-Still not working? Hit Antelope's tech support.

I would also hit youtube and see if there are any tutorials on the Orion 32 setup. I spent 2 days with the original Orion and it was far from intuitive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 PM

What exact driver(s) do you have installed for the Orion?

And what are all the exact choices show up in the Playback Engine pulldown sector in Pro Tools.

Importantly you want to be sure to select the native ASIO for the Orion32 driver as the playback engine. If you've ever installed ASIO4ALL you do not want to select the ASIO4ALL driver. It sounds like you may have selected an ASIO4ALL device. Unless you have an clear reason you *need* ASIO4ALL installed on the computer uninstall it.

If that is not it. Try trashing prefs and deleting and defaulting the inputs in Setup>IO>Inputs. I'd do that before trying to reinstall Pro Tools.