Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Mini Grand and DB-33

When I first installed the software, these two instruments were present. I uninstalled the software while troubleshooting and re-installed it.
Now they are not present.
Anyone know why? Has something changed?
I am using Pro Tools Express version 10.3.3 and a M-TRACK QUAD.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Mini Grand and DB-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timb999 View Post
When I first installed the software, these two instruments were present. I uninstalled the software while troubleshooting and re-installed it.
Now they are not present.
Anyone know why? Has something changed?
I am using Pro Tools Express version 10.3.3 and a M-TRACK QUAD.
Not totally sure about express but on PT generally the instruments are a separate download and install. so check your avid account product downloads for a separate installer

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Hi Chris:

Yes, it is a separate download and it seemed to work. Just missing these two (at least) instruments.
I'm not sure if I downloaded the wrong file but I am reading elsewhere here that these two instruments are not included.

The file I downloaded is called Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Express_Installer.zip

And if I look at the log file called AvidVirtualInstrumentsExpressInstall.log, it seems to say that the instrument has been installed.

MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: MINI_GRAND1 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Mini Grand\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Mini Grand\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\MINIGR~1\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: INSTALLDIR , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: XPAND22 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\XPand2\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\XPand2\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\XPand2\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: STRUCTURE_FREE1 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure Free\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure Free\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\STRUCT~2\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: STRUCTURE_QUICKSTART1 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure QuickStart\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure QuickStart\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\STRUCT~1\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: SAMPLES1 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure QuickStart\Samples\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Structure QuickStart\Samples\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\STRUCT~1\Samples\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: MINI_GRAND2 , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Mini Grand\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Mini Grand\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\MINIGR~1\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: ISYourDataBaseDir , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Database\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Database\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\Database\
MSI (c) (50:F0) [20:49:49:105]: Dir (source): Key: DATABASEDIR , Object: C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\Avid_Virtual_Instruments_Ex press_Installer\Avid Virtual Instruments Express\program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Database\ , LongSubPath: program files\Avid\Avid Virtual Instruments\Database\ , ShortSubPath: PROGRA~1\Avid\AVIDVI~1\Database\
Old 01-28-2015, 11:39 AM

Here it says :

Bundled plugins with Express are Boom Structure and Xpand! so I don't think the VI's you are asking about are included.

From here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox/Specifications

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM

I know, so how did I have it before and what good is the free software if it is not included?
What are you supposed to use for keyboards or pianos?

I'm new to this so maybe that is a dumb question.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM

There are 3rd party VI's on the market and you can buy the IEP2 for your setup as we all have done and free software I don't know what you mean there.

Maybe it was just PT Express adjusting to the computer. Sometimes when trashing preferences and databases / reinstalls PT shows some features that aren't included as it does with full versions sometimes until a restart.

Features from 11HD is visible in Vanilla PT 11 until a restart so that can be the reason you saw them for a while but those instruments I posted are the ones included, the rest are purchase only.

Says the same here :

http://www.bswusa.com/Pro-Tools-Avid...ess-P8443.aspx

Best Regards
Christopher

PS. There are quite a few piano and keys sounds in Xpand2 to get you started. PT Express is a semi "free" very limited version of PT11 and the price reflects that.

so either use it for now and get upgrading to PT11 which is very reasonably priced right now @ $199 ($899) normal price or Get a few 3rd party instruments that does what you need them to

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 PM

By free software, I mean it came with my Audio Interface.
The problem is, I am having issues with the software and don't want to spend any more money upgrading or buying anything else until I can get it working consistently.
Plus, I'm just doing this for fun so don't want to spend a fortune.

Does PT11 have many VI's included in the price?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 PM

PT11 has over 70 effect plugins and VI included so you can look at that chart on Avids website if you want to know exacly which ones

It is the Ilok key that determins what to unlock and keep locked so thats why you may see some products and features a little while after updating or trashing prefs and dbases until you restart the computer again

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————