Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2018, 01:45 AM

Default ok fellas, can we talk OSX vs WIN GUI performance?

I recently tried PT 12.8.3 on bootcamp (same machine) and whoa, GUI just flies! meters are actually in time and snappy spiky, faster.

edits are lightning fast and holding keys for repeated action, like moving midi notes up or down or moving the locators give immediate response and there is not lagging behind

not sure why nobody seems to mind this difference and drawback for OSX, or is it just me?

give me some feedback on this plz. I would absolutely adore PT on OSX if only the GUI got more responsive.

like it is now, I feel like a sloth operating a rubber band, while on windows I feel like a power-user. if it weren't for the key commands re-learning-curve and following incompatiblity with mac based PT studios, I would absolutely switch to PT on windows...

so why is this? just why? I checked back about this at one bigger studio with at PTHD rig and it's the same there - they don't mind cause they use this thing more or less like a tape recorder, so nobody seems to care?

what about you?

cheers!

Last edited by Resuah Knit; 03-04-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2018, 02:13 AM

Default Re: ok fellas, can we talk OSX vs WIN GUI performance?

LOTS of threads and info on this floating around on the DUC.

GUI lag is a problem for lots of people on various versions of macOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
LOTS of threads and info on this floating around on the DUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know I know, it just seems this kind of lag is very consistent throughout all of OSX, I really notice it everywhere. logic can also be slow, and the finder and my mail app are super slow to display lots of text. 2d-rendering seems super slow on OSX compared to windows. the only OSX that seemed comparably lean and fast on OSX was snow leopard, and back then only with LP9, even logic 10 is slower/laggier than LP9

why?

I'm constantly trying to speed up my workflows, as time is money and lifetime that I can't ever get back, I would rather operate something quick and lean. the posts about GUI lag on DUC are super inconsistent, it would be nice to get a conclusive overview of the problem, especially comparing it to the performance of windows.

I wonder, is there even an OSX/PT combo that is as snappy as any WIN/PT combo?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:20 AM

Default ok fellas, can we talk OSX vs WIN GUI performance?

I have found uninstalling and reinstalling PT on both Mac and PC can help my 2 systems.

Deleting and prefs and cache ax databases using trasher and Pete’s programs do not help. Also deleting the wavcache files doesn’t seem to help.

Why? I don’t know. I can only surmise that if I am updating other plugins or something that something gets mucked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-07-2018, 01:16 AM

something interesting to add to the table:

I tried PT on a fresh user account, and guess what: GUI much faster and no more lags when clicking anywhere, really usable!

try the same if you have these sorts of problems. now I am trying to either find the culprit on my main account, or find out how to migrate everything (except the culprit) to this secondary account which would then become my main one..

any ideas how to go about this?

attached there's a list of my processes

edit: added processes of new user account as well
Attached Files
File Type: pdf processes.pdf (396.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf processes newuser.pdf (408.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Resuah Knit; 03-07-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
GUI lag was quite bad in Yosemite and especially bad in El Capitan. Apple never did admit to having done anything, but it's quite clear there is something about the video drivers there. I (and I'm sure other developers as well) put it quite a lot of effort to understand what was going on. We made it better, but it still suffered. Then in Sierra, the problem largely disappeared. Once again, Apple never really said anything one way or another. But it suddenly got a lot better. The same plugin could be very snappy in Mavericks, Sierra or High Sierra. But it would pig out in El Capitan. Even LogicX showed the problem!

So it is a real issue, but Apple did respond (without saying they did). Getting your machines up to at least Sierra should make a noticeable difference.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 AM

I am running Pro Tools 12.7.1. and Sierra 10.12.4 with a flashed 9800ti in my mac pro. No graphics lag at all but I had it before with El Cap and Yosemite. I have to have the correct web driver installed for each system update, for me any of the Nvidia pascal drivers are not working well with my card. I am running web driver 367.15.10.35f01 which is actually for 10.12.3 but is working great with 10.12.4. I had an issue when I went up to the newer pascal 10.12.4 driver and if I did not use the mac pro for a few minutes and left it idle it would get stuck and not work till I moved the mouse around and then it would come back to life. I tried installing High Sierra on a test drive 10.12.3 installed the proper driver and the whole interface of the finder was glitchy and laggy... unusable, so I am staying where I am ... no choice really and things have been super smooth in Pro Tools and really no need to update but I like to tinker and test things out and stay up to date when possible. I will wait till 10.12.4 comes out and give it another go when Nvidia come out with a new driver. I think the AMD 5870s and 5770 are getting a bit under powered for Metal support as well and overall they are really slow compared to modern GPUs those cards are around 10 years old at this point.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 AM

lance, have you compared the performance of the flashed gtx to a stock 5870/5770?

I have a flashed 680gtx around but last time I checked I had problems with it, it was slow with some animations, stock ati is the fastest/smoothest I can get so far.

as I said in the update, on a fresh user account, lag is virtually gone. I might have to do a fresh install, cause I can't find the culprit, but it would be an ordeal, I have so much software on this machine..

does pt use metal anywhere anyways?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:12 PM

update:

support suggested I deleted preferences and indeed that did it, but when I changed a setting back to how I want my PT to be, it came back, now guess what setting it was?

"organize plug-in menus by"

if I set it to anything other than "Category & Manufacturer" (my preference) then it works smoothly

I have no idea how to explain this, but it feels like sloppy coding, maybe PT needs a recode like the steinberg guys did recently with CB9x? anyways their soft is super fast on mac now. pleasure to use, I own both, and a few other sequencers too. constantly testing and comparing, while also trying to get work done

Last edited by Resuah Knit; 03-12-2018 at 03:45 PM.