How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Change tuning A = 432hz or C = 528Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
While I can't see wanting to use one with the music I do, it does look like something that would be a lot of fun to play with...
Yes it is. The tuning possibilities are endless! And, because some strings are left open, you can play above and below the capo too!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Yes it is. The tuning possibilities are endless! And, because some strings are left open, you can play above and below the capo too!
What I don't like about capos is that it usually changes intonation, so you should check that when you play with tuning
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What I don't like about capos is that it usually changes intonation, so you should check that when you play with tuning
To a certain extent, yes. But on the better quality guitars, not so much, I find.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM

I'm certainly not inspired to deviate from 440, but the OP has a great question. Can this be changed in PT?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Thank you for your replies. I just found randomly on some forums that some players prefer to tune A to 432Hz. I just would like to see it by my self to experiment and feel how it sounds. I am not pursuing an improvement on my compositions as has been pointed out here, its just for fun, to try something different.

I prefer not to discuss here if some tuning is better than any other, that goes in other post. I simply want to experiment with different options. So I ask again if anybody knows how to change the "base tuning" in pro tools. By default A = 440Hz. Is it possible to change that parameter in pro tools? Or change it in any virtual instrument?

Thank you for your replies.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Wow, this thread really got derailed. Thanks for bringing it back on topic, OP. PT is just like a tape machine so it has no tuning to it per se. Any audio will just be at whatever pitch it was played at. You must be asking about VIs and that will just depend on the VI. Some will have the ability to change the master reference pitch, some won't. If you have audio recorded at 440, you could use a pitch shift plugin or elastic audio to pitch it down to 432.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM

I have found out that Native Instruments Kontakt 5 virtual instrument allows to change the tuning very easily. I have changed the tuning of some of my songs. The result is not so impressive. With A=432Hz it feels a little bit more relaxing, chilling, not so active while with A = 444hz it sounds a little bit more exciting. However I thing its just because it is like playing the song more brighter or darker like playing one note up or down on an instrument. It is fun to try something different once in a while.

So the conclusion is, Pro Tools does not have built in auto-tuning settings for built in plugins, and the tuning has to be altered via virtual instruments.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Clyde View Post
So the conclusion is, Pro Tools does not have built in auto-tuning settings for built in plugins, and the tuning has to be altered via virtual instruments.
Yes, it's up to plugins.

As far as Avid is concerned, the included InTune lets you choose the base tuning between 410-480Hz. I also do know that AIR Velvet has 392-494Hz fine tuning, and Synthogy Ivory has 410-470Hz fine tuning -- but it does depend on the plugin and not all of them have the option.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Well, alternate tunings of all sorts have been used since the invention of music. But as for the A=432, there are various schools of thought Just Google "432" for more!

I've never tried this, but I tend to agree with Bill that if the music is bad at A=440 it won't improve with a different tuning, or even a different key in normal tuning.

I think what drives this concept more than anything is the belief that somehow that frequency and the harmonics associated with it, as well as the frequencies for all the other notes using that standard and their harmonics, are somehow more in line with the resonate frequencies in the universe and therefore produces a better emotional response to music. Its a combination of a smattering of some isolated physics phacts with some Eastern mysticism concepts and such. Take it as you will. Still might be worth experimenting with it just for fun if nothing else.
I know this is an old thread.
But there is extreme evidence for our 7 keys being tuned at 432 hertz vs 440 hertz.

When using a tone generator ...
One can create complex geometrical structures at 432 hertz.
But when the same test are performed at 440 hertz.
Those shapes are inconclusive or none existing,

Pythagoras understood this so he created the map"Circle of Fifths"
to be in perfect mathematical Harmony with individual notes.

So sound whether one believes it or not ? Can both create structures or destroy structures.

I use 432 Hertz because i can actually get natural harmonics all over the spectrum easier.
To me those are the building blocks to the next direction I head
When on my creative journey.

When mixing music one of the things we do first is try and eq or time align signals .
We try and correct pitch issues???

Why not start out with a perfectly more precise tuning .
That is mathematically in harmony already with each other.

Because at 440 Hertz you have to correct mathematically more.
Than one has too at 432 Hertz.

Pythagoras was no Dummy. Ha
Old 11-30-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Speaking of alternate tunings for guitar, have you guitar players tried the Spider Capo? It really opens up some unique possibilities. Its fun too!
Almost put an eye out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave