Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Default What Shared Storage solutions do you fellows use in your facilitys

I have kinda taken on a new role with some other employess leaving recently. ie Video department. They need to upgrade to shared storage for ful HD shows. Right now the big one is shot on XD cam. (I believe) I mix this show One pain is they always have to out put to tape for me to then load into a system with DV codec so it dont look so great. I would love to hook up the satalite LE option and run the video from their storage system. Do and or the forums cats run this type of system.

Here are the general needs of shared storage for our facility.

Video need it for these systems 2 Avid Online suites (Avid HD nitress PC/MAC) and one flame Smoke system (Linix based I think) As well they have on final cut pro system which doesnt get used often but somtimes.

So they need to be able to do their thing and I assume that is stream all HD full Res and edit etc. (the video department will help me out with what their need exactly are)

More on the audio side I would like to use some of this storage for setting up the Mix rooms to be tied into this system FOR VIDEO ONLY at this time(Using satalite LE and a Mac Pro with black magic Card or somthing equilivent) and perhaps audio use in the future but right now we are content with firwaire 800 for moveing sessions around from room to room.

Also im sure my bosses would like to have a little storage for their text documents but Im thinking If I just grab them a network Lacie drive or somthing that would be better.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I understand these systems will require their own type of networking to be able to handle the bandwidth that I can make happen as we have central machine room with access to the 3 Mix studios and Video rooms.

Thanks kindly guys and gals..

kd
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Default Re: What Shared Storage solutions do you fellows use in your facilitys

Ok so the lead engineer wants to be able to run his sessions of this storage as well. I think its kinda a unsafe idea. I dont think Ill be running my sessions that way. But I dont know does anyone else do that Trust their work all on one storage system that anyone can access? I like to be the only one messing with my sessions and drives.

kd
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM

The guys that do Oakley's in house stuff, work on both RED, and Smoke, they use xsan with all MacPros with Firbre. Seems to work for them, though the system is very expensive.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Yeah I just had a conference call with Rouge, which is a San based fibre system I believe ( my bosses set up the call). It sounds great but expensive and way above our needs. Plus im not sure how many others have these systems.

I have a feeling it might just be best to stick with something more popular like Edit Share or Facilis (not sure the spelling) just because its made for what we do. It doesn't allow much for expansion down the road but Hell.. nothing is a sure thing with Technology every year something better and bigger comes out.

Also I get so much help from forums This forum is like my goto source for info. I don't call Avid when I have a PT problem I come here. knowing that edit share would have that similar type of forums is pretty re assuring.

Edit share is much cheeper to because it uses Gigabit networking. But that doesn't allow for Video to do dual streams of HD. And wont support the Flame. But our flame system has its own server with Fibre so we can continue to use that for now. To be honest that flame system never gets used compared to our Avid suites now.

thanks for your input bud

kd