Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Broadcast Layback Question: Levels?

Hi,
A perennially interesting topic! Probably worth repeating your post in the Post section of this forum. I have researched this quite a bit. There is a small difference between NAB and EBU, of no great consequence in this thread but 0dB=-20dBFS NAB, but -18 EBU. There is a difficulty relating the 'standard' metering to the digital 'below FS' metering. I reckon set the L2 peak stop level at -5dB. I have done the math and -5 or -6 dB FS relates well to PPM's Durroughs etc. This has also been borne out by practical experience here in Ireland. Pull down the L2 threshold until you hear damage. Ignore the damage ;-) and you might get somewhere near an acceptable level. An aside- use more treble and reverb than you want to. The commercials will still be a LOT louder. The QC people at transmission stage clearly allow this, breaking their own rules. Their PPM's must be pinned to the end stops during the ads. I read somewhere that one FOX guideline was 'peaking at -2dBFS. This is another loudness war as mentioned above. It will keep escalating, largely to the detriment of sound quality.
Best Regards, DD
Old 05-03-2006, 02:04 PM

According th PRSS.org (The Public Radio Satellite System) the maximum program peak is to be no higher than -6dBFS.
12 core 3.06Ghz MacPro, OS 10.14.5, PT2019.6, HDX, D-Command
Retina 5k iMac OS 10.14.5, PT2019.6, MBox3
Retina MacBook Pro OS 10.14.5, PT2019.6
Old 05-03-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
if you were to try and emulate this in an hour long documentary it would be quite hard to listen to and would ultimately ruin the experience for the viewer (and the channel would prob reject it anyway)
Someone at Discovery described such a program as a 60 minute promo. Not to start a riot, but their LM-100 spec is supposedly a way that they can put an end to their programming being mixed like 60 minute promos.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:32 PM

I tend to enjoy a bit of dynamic range (even on telly!), so won't get involved too much with the "loudness wars".

I still use +4dBM VU meters which I'll drive to 0VU and use the -8dBfs standard for peak reading.

You could try going in and out of programme segments at full on loudness to transition to "commercial"
loudness, and then you can introduce more dynamics in the middle.
Works for us!

Please hold out as long as you can, or it's going to get like the loudest CD on the planet competition!

cheers,
John.